Combating sexism in sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Since I was 8 years old I’ve faced a lot of pushback when playing sports. My ability to play sports was always questioned because I’m a girl. There were countless times when I was told that I throw like a girl or run like a girl and I never understood what was so wrong about that. I watched all of my male friends play sports and be praised for their skills, while others would question my ability to keep up. I remember one time I was on a flag football team and had asked the coach if I could play quarterback. The coach responded with hesitation while the quarterback laughed. I had quickly apologized for asking and never dared to ask again. 

Sports were always important to me and helped me feel confident in myself. So why is it that girls are second-guessed on our abilities to play a sport or know about sports? Why do people use the phrases “you throw like a girl” or “you hit like a girl” as an insult? This all stems from the society’s idea that women are weaker than men. In our society men are seen as the strong and brave ones, whereas women are seen as weak and vulnerable. Thanks to this, women face a lot of pushback when playing sports because athleticism is seen as a male attribute. This can discourage women from playing sports, leading them to feel like they aren’t capable of playing sports or having a profession in the sports field. As a society, we shouldn’t tear people down or tell them they can’t do a certain activity because of their gender. We should encourage women to play sports. From Simone Biles to Hope Solo, there are numerous examples of strong female athletes. Serena Williams is a great example. She has won 22 grand slam singles and 14 grand slam doubles. So why is there still this negative idea that women can’t play sports? Sports shouldn’t be limited to a certain gender and #LikeAGirl is a campaign that aims to empower women through sports.

It’s hard to try new things or do what you love when people around you discourage you to do so. Although I faced a lot of discrimination when I played sports, it never stopped me. I always wanted to prove that I was better than the guys and that I deserved to be there, too. Everyone deserves an equal chance to do what they love. No one should be held back for pursuing anything because of their gender.

You can check out more about the #LikeaGirl campaign here

Hey! My name is Amanda Levine and I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I love playing softball, listening to music, and watching netflix.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.