Style

A College Girl’s Crash Course in Sustainable Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Ladies we’ve got a planet to save, and our retail addiction is part of the problem.  However this is a difficult dilemma, particularly for those who appreciate clothing and its ability to communicate who we are.  Still, the question is: how do we celebrate fashion without further harming our world? It’s time to start shopping smarter and more sustainable.

1. First, understand why you should be making an effort

I get it. For many of us, shopping is a sport.  The glittering, colorful experience of walking into a store alone makes us happy.  Still, unbeknownst to most, the fashion industry is having a profoundly negative impact on the environmental, social and economic spheres of our world, particularly in developing countries. The push from consumers for cheap, quick clothing has given the fashion industry a new rhythm: fast fashion. In order to meet demands, garment workers work day to night through unsafe conditions and for unfair pay.   On top of that, most western shoppers don’t give a second thought to who sewed their clothes.  Still, consumers have the power.  If we collectively consider where we’re shopping and what we’re shopping for, we’re taking steps in the right direction.

2. Take a shopping chill pill

I know, I know, this one breaks my heart too, but I think we all need to take a step back.  While this is the guide to how to shop sustainably, the consumer culture that fuels retail is part of the problem.  If more of us occasionally refrained from frivolous purchases, some tension between fashion and the environment would be alleviated.  This brings me to my next point…

3.  Embrace Slow Fashion

When you do shop, just shop slow.  While you may like that five-dollar Forever 21 price tag, the environment does not, so ask yourself if you really need it.

Instead, embrace investment pieces.  Fashion used to have two seasons, and now there’s practically fifty-two.  Instead of constantly hitting the refresh button with cheap purchases, curate a wardrobe of high-quality pieces that you love to wear.  Remember that quality justifies a higher price tag.

4. Shop second hand

When you get your thrift on, you are indirectly saving the planet.  Not only can you find one of a kind pieces, buying resale is a form of recycling! You are reducing the number of new textiles consumed by purchasing used ones, not to mention saving old clothes from sitting in a landfill.  Plus who doesn’t love a good throwback?

5. If you truly want to buy sustainable, do your research

When it comes to saving the planet, there are actually multiple companies today that are joining the fight. Resources such as the Sustainable Apparel Coalition and the app Good on You have the scoop on who’s sustainable and who’s not.  Look for companies that are transparent, meaning they aren’t hiding behind shady manufacturing strategies. For instance, Patagonia features fair-trade products, meaning garment workers were paid a fair, livable wage.

6. Recognize that you are the consumer

Once you have an idea of the sustainability measures of some companies, remind yourself that you have the power as a consumer.  Put your money where it matters; this is authentic girl power at its finest.

There you have it! From now on, when you shop try to shop sustainably!  We, as young women, have more power than we know.

Suggested Homework

Watch the film The True Cost (seriously, it will change the way you shop), check out the website www.fashionrevolution.org, and study the shopping scene at your local mall!

Melanie Gordon

Kent State '22

Melanie Gordon is in her first year as a fashion design major at Kent State University. Someday, she hopes to have her own clothing line. She is from St. Louis, Missouri, so is, of course, a die-hard Cardinals fan. When she isn't drawing clothes or writing, you can find her sitting outside in the sun, laughing at the little things in life, or shopping with her girlfriends. She counts family, black coffee, and traveling to new places as some of the best things in life.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.