This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Reading articles can be a fun pastime, but there are so many that it can be hard to pick just one to look at. Luckily, we have our very own magazines here at Kent State, perfect for reading up on relevant topics on campus. The publications mentioned have articles written by students, for students. You could be sitting next to an author right now! Keep reading to discover four of the best magazines based in Kent State.

The A Magazine

If you like reading Vogue or Seventeen, this next magazine may be perfect for you. The A Magazine, formerly known as Artemis Magazine, was started in 2001 and focus on all things fashion, beauty and culture. You can check out the latest A Magazine issue on theamag.com, amagksu on all major social media platforms or in print. They have students collecting information on the latest trends all around the world, from New York to Florence (and Kent of course)! 

Brainchild Magazine

Unique to other campus publications, authors of Brainchild are a part of the honors program, and the main goal of the magazine is to showcase the talents of these students. While the magazine is run at Kent, authors can be any honors student in the Mid-East Honors Association (MEHA). They mainly focus on creations like poetry, photography and literature. Additionally, any designs or aesthetics relating to Brainchild are also composed by students, making it almost entirely student run. As long as you are an honors student, they are open to students with any background and differing views. The magazine is released yearly, and you can view their collection on their website brainchildmagazine.com or you can request a physical issue.

Kent State Magazine

If we are talking about Kent magazines, we can’t forget the Kent State Magazine. Like the name implies, this online magazine is run by the university. The latest Spring/Summer issue covers topics such as travel, history and education, with each article being relevant to Kent. You can read each semester of KSU’s magazine on their website, along with standalone articles released throughout the year.

Luna Negra Magazine

Recognized as Kent State’s longest-running student magazine, Luna Negra is a literary arts magazine that publishes online in the fall and in print during the spring. Student writers range from all types of skill levels to seasoned writers. Regardless of their major, Luna Negra gives a platform to the rising creatives of Kent and is the best magazine for those interested in seeing the undergraduate art scene. On their website, lunanegramag.com you can read up on the latest online publications and where to find physical copies.

Overall, reading local can be better in so many ways. Being a Golden Flash means being a part of a community, and what better way to feel more connected than staying updated in the latest Kent media. From the fashion-forward insights of A Magazine to the university’s own lens in Kent State Magazine, each publication shows a different side to life at KSU.

Zoë Eigenbrod

Kent State '27

Hi! My name is Zoë, and I am a freshman at Kent State University studying computer science with a concentration in cybersecurity. Other than writing, I love cats, listening to K-pop and drinking anything pumpkin-flavored.