Campus Celebrities: the 2015 Homecoming Court

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

There are 12 famous Kent State students right now, and they’re this year’s homecoming court! Meet the six men and six women who have been chosen to represent Kent State this year.

Voting is open now until Friday, October 2 at Noon! 

Queen Court:

Amanda Bevington:

Major- Communications

Hometown- Solon, Ohio

Birthday- July 11

Favorite food- Mashed potatoes, ice cream and burgers

Reason you lovev KSU- What’s not to love about the happiest and greatest place on earth?! The people here are one of the best things about this place — they are truly amazing!

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- My favorite place isn’t a secret but I love front campus with the rock, gazebo, and trees… I will get married there one day.

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus- Kent Student Ambassadors, National Residence Hall Honorary, Campus Tour Guide, Chi Omega Fraternity, Student Service Leader, Senator of Residence Halls for Undergraduate Student Government!

Lauren Buchanan:

Major- Broadcast Journalism

Hometown- Willshire, Ohio

Birthday- July 26 “I don’t know about you but I’m feeling 22”

Favorite food- Taco Bell breakfast menu. The whole thing.

Reason you love KSU- I love KSU because my best friend (and homecoming partner on court, Tom) is here. My friends make this campus feel like home.

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- I love the Portage Hike and Bike Trails because it’s an escape away from stress. 

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus-  I’m currently working full-time in Cleveland so I just work, study, and sometimes sleep. In the past, I’ve been involved in TV2, Undergraduate Student Government, Provost’s Leadership Academy, National Residence Hall Honorary, and I was an RA in Olson Hall. 

Hannah Firsdon:

Major- Public Communication

Hometown- Pemberville, Ohio

Birthday- February 14

Favorite food- Ribs and mashed potatoes

Reason you love KSU- There is not just one reason why I love Kent State University. All of the people, organizations, and opportunities at Kent State make it so unique and amazing. Kent is truly a one-of-a-kind place. Campus is so beautiful any time of the year and there is always something to do. 

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- There are so many gems and special places at Kent State University. I love walking on the sidewalk by the Math Building and the Library, no matter what time of the year it is, because it is always so beautiful and breathtaking there.

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus- I am involved in Kent Interhall Council, the National Residence Hall Honorary and I’m that KSU Girl.

Tierra James:

Major- Sociology

Hometown- Cleveland, Ohio

Birthday- June 4

Favorite food- Pizza!

Reason you love KSU- I love KSU because of the friendly atmosphere, lively individuals and the diverse opportunities.   

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- My favorite hidden gem in Kent would have to be the Cuyahoga River. I know of multiple spots along the river where I can fish, sit with friends or just float down on a raft. Not many people know how enjoyable it is until they walk along the bank of river. 

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus- Undergraduate Sociological Students Collective (USSC),  Forwards Captain of the Kent State Women’s Rugby Club, member of the  Society of Leadership and Success, member of  Alpha Kappa Delta, the International Sociology Honor Society and member of Pi Gamma Mu, the International Social Sciences Honor Society

Laura Roch:

Major- Human Development & Family Studies

Hometown- Youngstown, Ohio

Birthday- August 25

Favorite food- Chicken

Reason you love KSU- I love the faculty, staff, & people I met here at Kent State. Everyone is so helpful and genuine and makes me feel so loved and appreciated. Being at this university has really helped me grow & develop into the person I am today.

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- TOKO!!!! It’s the Japanese steakhouse across the street from Guacamoles.

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus-  Kent State International Mentors, Delta Gamma Fraternity, Kent Interhall Council, National Residence Hall Honorary, Student Success Programs, Student Conduct Hearing Officer, National Society Of Collegiate Scholars, National Society of Leadership and Success, Golden Key Honor Society, Campus tour guide

McCall Sims:

Major- Public Health

Hometown- Bloomingdale, Ohio

Birthday- November 30th

Favorite food- Ice cream

Reason you love KSU- I love KSU because not only does it provide a great education, but opportunities for everyone as well. There is something for everyone to be a part of here at Kent State; whether it be an organization, sport, or club it is easy to find something you love and feel at home.

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- My hidden gem in Kent would be my apartment, because I rarely have time to actually be there and relax!

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus- Kent Student Ambassadors, Public Health Student Alliance, Honors College, American Medical Student Association, and Mortar Board, Relay for Life I also love to take advantage of the free tutoring offered by the university and intramural volleyball at the recreational center. When I am not studying or in meetings, I also have two jobs as a nanny, one for a severely autistic boy.

King Court:

Ryan Borland:

Major- Integrated Social Studies

Hometown- East Rochester, Ohio

Birthday- January 4

Favorite food- Pasta

Reason you love KSU- I love KSU for multiple reasons. My professors are great and I appreciate their time and expertise in their perspective fields. I also love KSU because the campus atmosphere is amazing from the sheer beauty you see when you walk to campus to the state of the art buildings and facilities. I also love downtown Kent be because it has an historic touch to it as well as a modern feel.

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- My hidden gem is going to the Pufferbelly for dinner on Tuesday nights with friends and listening to the brass band.

Zachary Downes:

Major- Journalism

Hometown- Ashtabula, Ohio

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus- Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity

Terry Hugo:

Major- Business Administration

Hometown- Strongsville, Ohio

Birthday- April 4

Favorite food- All food, but I actually love Italian food and home-cooked meals! 

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- There is a tree that I LOVE to sit under with all the black squirrels on the hill by Taylor Hall when it’s nice out. I usually read a book or work on Homework there! 

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus- Kent Student Ambassadors, Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity, Alpha Psi Omega National Theatre Fraternity, Inter-fraternity Council, Kent S.P.I.C.E. committee, Order of Omega, Volunteer Opportunities such as Campus Kitchen and service days, move-in day, etc. and lastly Hillel. 

Thomas Joseph:

Major- Chemistry

Hometown- Medina, Ohio

Birthday- June 25

Favorite food- Chicken Marsala

Reason you love KSU- It’s diverse and inclusive community made me feel welcomed since I was a freshman.

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- I love the field behind Taylor hall! At night and during the spring it is beautiful. Whether it be stargazing or doing homework on the hill, it is great!

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus- The National Residence Hall Honorary, RA Advisory Board

PJ Kimmel:

Major- Finance

Hometown- Canfield, Ohio

Birthday- January 24

Favorite food- Chipotle, obviously!

Reason you love KSU- I love KSU because there are unlimited opportunities here to grow. I’ve met so many people, found my passions, and opened up to new experiences. Kent is the second largest university in Ohio, but I feel like I’m at home in a small town and I love that.  

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- The student green! I loved sitting there over the summer and watching the sun set (although it’s all construction now).

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus- Undergraduate Student Trustee, President of Financial Management Association, Kent Student Ambassador, Student Service Leader, Crew Leader at Einstein’s! 

John Longsdorf:

Hometown- Lodi, Ohio

Birthday- May 15

Favorite Food- Pizza, Chicken Alfredo, Chipotle

Reason you love KSU- I love Kent State University because it has given countless opportunities, which have taught me to devote my time and effort to important aspects in my life. Through these experiences, I can say that these past four years have been the best four years of my life. Kent State University will always be home to me. 

Favorite hidden gem in Kent- My favorite hidden gem in Kent would be Acorn Alley, Ray’s Place and walking the trails along the Cuyahoga river in downtown Kent. 

Other organizations/activites that you’re involved with on campus- The Black Squirrel Chapter of the National Residence Hall Honorary (Homecoming Sponsor), The National Society of Collegiate Scholars and The Kent Student Ambassadors.

All of us at Her Campus wish the homecoming court the best of luck this week! 

Make sure you VOTE! Voting is now open until Friday at Noon! 

You can vote here.

Danie Minor

Kent State

Hey there! My name is Danie Minor, and I am a recent graduate of Kent State. I was a PR major who minored in Fashion Media Writing. I am currently on the job hunt and would love to work within the lifestyle PR realm. I am a city girl from the D.C. metro area. Make sure you check out my personal blog: Definingdanie.com! You can also find me on socialite @danieminor13!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.