The broke girl’s guide to back-to-school shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Believe us when we say we know all about how tight money can get, especially in the fall when school is starting up again. How are you supposed to balance another part-time job among your other various jobs while keeping up with all your class and getting the necessary eight hours of sleep per night? Before you decide to start selling your body parts to science, here are a few life hacks that might make your back-to-school shopping just a little easier. 

1. Shop during tax-free weekends

Ohio has a tax-free weekend at the end of every Aug. just before school starts. Any and all clothes, shoes and school supplies are free of tax during this three-day event. This is a great way to save a few bucks, especially if items are already on sale.

2. Sell or exchange the clothes you don’t wear anymore

Your gently used clothes and shoes can be sold at stores like Plato’s Closet and Clothes Mentor for extra cash. Keep in mind that they do have some guidelines; Your clothes should be in good condition and need to have been in stores in the last two years or so. They will offer you an amount of money in cash or offer to take that amount off your bill if you’d rather get clothes from their store. Simply take these gently used items to a Plato’s Closet or Clothes Mentor location and give it a shot!

3. Don’t forget about thrift stores

From Goodwill to Salvation Army and Value World, thrift stores are always a great place to find cheap clothes and shoes when you’re low on cash and in need of some new(ish) things. If you’ve got time to sift through the racks, you’re bound to find some nice things!

4. Sell your textbooks from previous semesters

If you decided to buy, not rent, your textbooks last semester there are a number of websites that will buy them off you and offer you free shipping labels to send them off. Be sure to check out Amazon or Bookscouter to see a number of companies offering competitive prices for your books. Not only can you sell your books here, but you may be able to find copies of the books you need for the upcoming semester on these sites, too. 

Lauren Milligan is a senior English major at Kent State University. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is also a content creator for the Odyssey. When she's not scribbling in her journal, sipping coffee and writing at Tree City Coffee, she is probably feeding her horror movie obsession or hitting up local bookstores to contribute to the small library in her bedroom.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.