This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

The holiday season has swiftly begun, which means Christmas movies are currently being played by families across the country. As we get older, the holiday season may not feel like it used to when we were children. The magic of the season may have given way to the stress and busyness of life. These holiday movies will transport you back to a time filled with joy and excitement for the season. Whether they are classics, childhood movies or brand new films, Christmas movies are a great way to get into the holiday spirit. Prepare to get feeling festive!

The Santa Clause

The three movies in “The Santa Clause” trilogy are Christmas movies that I will always love. When I was young, my family loved this trilogy, and we would watch these movies multiple times throughout the month of December.

The first “The Santa Clause” movie is about an ordinary man who unintentionally finds himself taking the place of Santa Claus. He struggles with believing in the Christmas magic he is experiencing and with explaining his new situation to his family members. The story focuses on embracing the magic of the season and the importance of family. This movie, as well as its two sequels, are perfect for the Christmas season.

Elf

“Elf” is also one of those movies that remind me of my childhood. This movie is hilarious and definitely will get you in a joyous and fun mood for the holiday.

This film is about a man named Buddy who was adopted as a child by elves at the North Pole. Growing up there, he believed himself to be an elf for most of his life until it is revealed to him that he was, in fact, adopted. Determined to find his biological father, Buddy embarks on a trip to New York City, where he finds the world desperately in need of some Christmas spirit.

Spirited

If you’re looking for something new to add to your Christmas movie list, I’d recommend the movie “Spirited”. The film came out this year and stars Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell. “Spirited” is a take on the classic story “A Christmas Carol”, but with a couple of twists and plenty of singing and dancing. If you are looking for something fun and are a fan of musicals, this is definitely a Christmas film you should check out.

White Christmas

An oldie but a goodie, “White Christmas” is a classic holiday film that I love. This story is about four performers that go to spend the holiday season in Vermont. When they arrive at the inn they are staying at, they find that the place is struggling financially, as there is unseasonably warm weather and no snow. Through musical performances, the group tries to help save this failing inn. “White Christmas” is definitely a staple movie to watch at this time of year.

A Christmas Story

Another classic, “A Christmas Story” is the epitome of what it is like to be a kid at Christmas time. This story follows a kid named Ralphie and his experience with the holiday season. Ralphie dreams of his perfect Christmas gift, a Red Ryder BB-gun, while everyone around him is against this idea. He deals with bullies, his cranky father, and other holiday shenanigans all while trying to convince the people in his life that the BB-gun is the perfect Christmas gift.

This movie is also another one of my family’s favorites and has been one I’ve watched over and over again during the Christmas season. With several iconic moments, this movie is definitely a must-watch.

I am definitely looking forward to binge-watching holiday movies throughout winter break, and I hope this gave you the inspiration to watch a movie that will get you in the mood for a happy, festive holiday.

Addison Foreman

Kent State '24

Addison is a journalism student at Kent State University. In her free time she loves to read, write, listen to music, and cuddle with her cat.