This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

As I am rounding out my first year here at Kent State University, I have been able to put some more experiences under my belt. I have a goal to get to eat at pretty much every restaurant in Kent before I graduate. So, although this is not a comprehensive list of all places to eat in Kent, it does represent where I have gone in the past nine months.

To preface, I have no harsh feelings towards any of these restaurants. I respect everyone else’s opinions, even if they differ from mine. However, my list simply reflects my opinions and experiences!

10. Bricco.

This is a standard date spot or a nice place to take friends or family out. I went on Valentine’s Day with my boyfriend (do not worry, we made a reservation!), and it was not a super enjoyable time. The service was not bad. I waived anything concerning because of how busy it was. However, the food was only alright, especially for the high price. I would consider returning on a less busy day to give it a second chance, but I believe Bricco can be a skip for anyone looking for somewhere to go.

9. Cleveland Bagel Company.

They were not bad, but they also were not great. Their iced mocha was delicious, but that is all that I can rave about. There are not really any complaints, but I have no plans on returning. They could make a handful of minor improvements (i.e. toasting the bagels, not leaving them sitting out, etc.) that would make me change where it is on this list, but Cle Bagel CO is a one-and-done spot for me. 

8. EuroGyro

This place is only so low because it truly is not anything spectacular. It is a great place to grab some simple food with friends and hang out for a while. They have pool tables and space to dance, which is great for more laid-back college nightlife. It also is not the cleanest. I went with my mom and younger siblings the weekend before move-in, and we were swarmed with flies throughout our entire meal. I doubt this goes for all year, but it is something to keep in mind. 

7. Eldorado’s Pizza Pie

I loved the mechanic and auto shop vibe of the interior of this restaurant. I came here with some of my family after they helped me move back in for the spring semester, and we all got different strombolis. We all sat in shock over the size of our food. We expected something on the smaller side because of the prices. Most of the meals were just okay, but we all had a pleasant time. 

6. Tree City Coffee & Pastry

I would argue that this is the best local coffee shop around Kent. It is located in the heart of downtown Kent and has incredible breakfast sandwiches and muffins. Every time I am there, I try a new coffee that is always enjoyable. It is often pretty crowded, which can make it so that it is hard to hear when your coffee is called. Yet when you can manage to find a seat, I think it is a great way to start your day, especially if you plan to explore the stores throughout the city. 

5. Mike’s Place

Everybody already knows about Mike’s Place. It is usually one of the first things I am asked about by people who have not been to the Kent area in a few years. Someone always mentions the plane outside and the absurdly busy menu. Everyone always has multiple favorite items with more to explore. Mike’s place has all-day breakfast and some of the best fried pickles ever (both are very important to me). I love sitting in new spots and trying to read every sign in sight.

4. Little City Grill

I have only been here twice, but the food was great, and the atmosphere was comfortable. Everything about Little City Grill seems genuine and relaxed. Their prices are appropriate, especially compared to how good their food is. None of it is out of this world or new and adventurous, but it is a classic diner which is ideal sometimes. I specifically enjoy their breakfast items and burgers.

3. Steak-EEZ

My friends and I stumbled into Steak-EEZ one weekend after being bored and hungry at the beginning of the school year. We headed to other spots, but they were too crowded and busy. The fries can be a little underwhelming, but the cheesesteaks are some of the best I have ever had. After having it for the first time, it popped into my mind several times a week for about three weeks until I had it again. 

2. Ming’s Bubble Tea

My go-to order is the white peach and lychee tea with double scoop tapioca pearls. It is not too sweet or bitter, and I prefer tapioca pearls because it keeps me from drinking it too fast. My friends and I have a habit of very quickly finishing our drinks. I go so often that I had to buy one of their reusable boba straws. I am going to miss it exponentially over the summer to the point that I may have to come to take a visit once or twice at some point. 

1.Mamacita’s

I think I only have good things to say about Mamacita’s. For starters, I love how fresh the food is, which makes sense considering everything is cooked right there as it is ordered. It is so obviously authentic, and I look forward to it whenever I go there. The California burrito, any of the breakfast burritos, California street tacos and loaded nachos are some of my favorites, but I truly think that you can not go wrong with anything on the menu. I (and everyone I know that has had Mamacita’s) would push you to try it. You will not regret it! 

Hevin Wilkey

Kent State '25

Hevin Wilkey is a second year journalism major with a public relations minor. She is a writer for Kent's chapter of Her Campus. She spends most of her time doing homework, journaling or somewhere drinking boba.