‘Being Funny In A Foreign Language’: The 1975 have outdone themselves again.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Rating: 9.5/10

The 1975’s highly anticipated new album, “Being Funny In A Foreign Language” has finally landed in our laps and ears. With this being their fifth official album, the band has made a name for themselves; a very successful one. Like their past albums, their most recent has charted at the #1 spot in the UK.

Some Background

The Cheshire-formed group, comprising Matty Healy, George Daniel, Ross MacDonald and Adam Hann worked with legendary producer Jack Antonoff to release their shortest album yet with a total of 11 songs, reaching about 45 minutes in total.

Although their shortest album, it is nothing short of brilliant. The pop-rock focused album brings back the core roots of the band’s iconic sound with touches of satirical comments of society by Healy. The band is known for their unique sound and their idiosyncratic lyrics that make you wonder how they can make self pity and hatred sound so profound. The album as a whole demonstrates what it feels like to lose a lover; a lover you aren’t ready to give up on quite yet. The standout of the album-for good reason-is track number 5, “Oh Caroline,” the perfect example of this unrequited feeling.

This album came out at a funny time for me. After my very first breakup, I wanted to punch Matty Healy in the face for rubbing salt in my very fresh wound. However, I also want to thank him for being able to put all my emotions and feelings into words; not all of us can be songwriters. Starting off track 5 with talking of suicidal feelings without his lover, it shows the feeling of true desperation and the perfect amount of cliché. Healy is able to make his listeners want to dance to a song with such heartbreaking lyrics.

Let’s Get Into It

“Happiness” and “I’m In Love With You” give off a similar vibe as “Oh Caroline.” A dance tune, but looking at the lyrics, tells stories of undying love. It’s ironic, isn’t it? Dancing to someone’s worst heartbreak. Love songs included in this album that are a bit harder to dance to are “All I Need To Hear,” “When We Are Together,” “About You” and “Human Too.” (If you’re dancing to these, I fear you may be a psychopath.) All of these songs show Healy’s shame and sorrow of a past relationship, wishing he can change it. Healy wants his ex-lover to know how real it was for him-and how badly he wants them back. Healy will do whatever he can to show his love, which can come off as almost pathetic at points. Same Matty, same. Healy is known for expressing his deep and raw emotion with his lyrics. He is clearly not afraid to share with the world how he feels.

This album does not only explore love and longing, however. Some of my favorites from this album are about navigating one’s way through life with a sprinkle or two of self deprication. The starter of the album, like every album, is “The 1975.” Healy describes this as their “status update” for each new album. This song, in my opinion, has some of the most genius lyrics of the whole album. Talking about the social, economical and political state of the world we are living in, Healy’s doing what he does best: with satire and problematic lyrics (which are sometimes the best kind of lyrics.) I group this song along with “Part of the Band,” where Healy talks about his faults along with his past “heroin binges.” My favorite part of these songs are his self awareness of how his image is perceived by the public, and has no shame admitting it.

The other two songs on the album that are similar to the aspect of navigating life seem to be through a different lens. “Looking For Somebody (To Love)” at first sounds like it could just be a classic love song. Looking deeper into the lyrics though, shows the song is talking about a school shooter. “A supreme gentlemen with a gun in his hand.” Healy gives an interesting perspective on a school shooter as he is trying to figure out the reason for all of it. With “Wintering” comes storylines of multiple people, just trying to get by. It shows the chaotic lives of multiple, not just Healy’s own life. The creative genius of the 1975 are clearly shown in these songs.

Overall, this album is phenomenal. The 1975 strives off of their sincerity; not only in their lyrics but also in the instruments and sound. They continue to be successful due to their perfectly crafted recipe of walking the line of relatability and controversy: two things everyone loves. Music feels genuine again.

Grace Clarke

Kent State

Junior Journalism major with Public Relations minor at Kent State University. I love to write articles informing others on a variety of things such as pop culture, music, fashion, or breaking news.