Are Reality TV and Professional Sports THAT Different?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Ever since the success of series such as Survivor and Big Brother, reality TV has crept into the everyday lives of Americans. Names such as the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo have become as ubiquitous as Cam Newton or Steph Curry.

As with any new trend or shift in tastes, criticism has followed. Reality TV has been blamed for a myriad of things in the past; from making people more narcissistic to making its viewers “dumber.” While there are a number of reality TV critics, traditional sports fans are some of the fiercest. There could be any number of reasons why sports fans feel this way, including the fact that the fans of the two genres have traditionally been on opposite sides of the aisle when it comes to real life. The stereotypes of jock and drama nerds are reflected in organized sports and reality TV, and have been for quite some time.

Professional sports have long been admired and held in high regard for their ability to bridge different people’s backgrounds together to support a common cause. There are numerous examples of entire cities that have healed through the success of their sports teams in the aftermath of tragedy (Boston, New Orleans, etc.). But, at the same time, they have been criticized for the sense of entitlement exuded by the athletes and their off-field behaviors, ranging from sexual assault to murder. These opinions, combined with their astronomical pay, certainly makes it tough to defend the hype around televised sports.

Reality TV, on the other hand, has helped a whole generation of people understand others better. Shows such as “RuPaul’s Drag Race” have shown its viewers many of the obstacles faced by people who do not conform to traditional gender roles. These shows not only allow their viewers to be exposed to new things, but they also help them to empathize and realize the similarities between their lives and those of “celebrities.” With this comes a generation that has grown up to idolize fame and be ever more involved in a materialistic world that forces them to chase ever changing trends and items.

This gives rise to a new question: what is similar (if anything at all) between reality TV and professional sports? If this question was asked to a fan of either genre, the answer would probably be a laundry list of differences mixed in with insults (“professional sports aren’t STAGED!” or “what’s the point of bashing your head against someone else’s to move a ball a few yards”). However, experts studying culture and politics have long recognized the importance of and similarities between sports and reality TV: the “bread and circus” of modern day America. Not only do reality TV and professional sports entertain the masses, but they also decrease the time and attention on real world issues such as wealth inequality, racism and foreign policy.

Do you think organized sports serve a better purpose than reality TV? Or do you believe reality TV is something that is essential in today’s world of sensationalized violence? Or perhaps both have made us apathetic of what is going on the global stage?

Let us know what you think on Twitter at @HCKentState with #WhySports or #WhyTV!

Tanmay Shah

Kent State

Hey guys, my name is Tanmay Shah and I am a sophomore at Kent State University studying Political Science. I was born and raised in India and have lived in the good ole' US of A since 2006. Other than being very competitive in almost any sport/activity I do, I also enjoy reading, music (mostly Kanye), and talking to new people from different backgrounds. Have fun checking out HerCampus!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.