Wellness > Health

Animal-Friendly Food Options for People Who Don’t Like Cooking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Hi, I’m Emilee! I am an avid animal lover, I love food and I have been a vegetarian for more than 2 years now.

Unfortunately, I am also a picky eater and a lazy cook. Because I became fully vegetarian at age 16, I have not eaten food that has harmed an animal for a good part of growing up and I plan to not eat meat for the rest of my life. Due to this, I’ve found a good amount of vegetarian/vegan options that I love that aren’t just vegetables or tofu.

Without further ado, here are some really good plant-based options!

Breakfast

Beyond Meat’s Beyond Breakfast Sausage Patties

I love these so much.

I am someone who really loves sausage and syrup and I could never find a vegetarian sausage alternative that worked with syrup, but this is perfect. They are super easy to make too, just heat them in a pan. These patties come in regular or spicy.

Impossible Breakfast Sandwich at Starbucks

This sandwich is delicious.

It comes on a brioche bun with American cheese and an egg, but you can customize it however you prefer! I do not get cheese on mine.

Lunch

One of my personal favorite sandwiches is a BLT and I make this vegetarian by using Morning Star Farms’ bacon strips. You also heat these in a pan and they are super easy and fast.

Pita Pockets

Just take a pita, cut up some cucumbers, avocado, tomatoes and put some hummus on it, and call it a day! This is one of my favorite lunch picks and it’s so easy, it’s ridiculous.

Vegan Tonkotsu Ramen from Annie Chun’s

I get this microwavable ramen from Target and it’s super fast. If I really feel like doing nothing to get a good meal, this is my go-to.

Dinner

I’m gonna hate myself for this but here it is: Chick-fil-a fries are, in fact, vegan.

This sucks for someone like me who has boycotted the restaurant for about 3 years, but if you’re looking for something to get when you are out… this is an option.

Buffalo Cauliflower Dip.

Instead of using chicken, use cauliflower!

Very much not vegan because of the cream cheese and cheese, but yummy if you are only vegetarian!

Chipotle’s Sofritas

This is a great tofu crumble to add to your meal! It’s super yummy and very flavorful.

Miscelanous

Almond Whipped Cream from Reddi Whip.
Plant-based butter!!

I LOVE PLANT-BASED BUTTER.

Now that I’ve had it, I can’t use real butter because plant butter is just so much better! I like Country Crock’s butter, which is made with avocado, almond or olive oil! I love to make buttered toast with this butter.

One of the biggest things about being/becoming a plant-based eater is that there’s no shame. If you cut back on meat in any way, it’s better for the world and animals. You don’t have to eat 100% vegan to make a difference.

Just eat what you want and be conscientious of how your eating affects the world around you!

Emilee Keaggy

Kent State '25

I'm a lover of reading, music, movies, astrology, and food! I'm a freshman at Kent who's interested in psychology, english, and fashion. I'm an avid magazine reader and I live for Vogue's September issue (and free tote!) every year.