This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Kent State graduate, Tessa Reeves, is the founder of a local clothing company with an emphasis on social justice, Neighbors Apparel. This week, Her Campus caught up with the Kent State alum to find out more about her work with refugees and Neighbors Apparel.

Her Campus: What made you initially interested in fashion?Tessa Reeves: My sophomore year in high school we had to read The Great Gatsby and do a project on either the book or the ‘20s time period. I ended up doing a project on ‘20s fashion. After researching about all the decades and the fashions, I got interested in the fashion industry.

HC: What made you want to start your own clothing company?TR: I wanted to find something where I could combine social justice and fashion. The organization I was involved in offered funding if I offered employment to refugees to utilize their skills in sewing.

HC: How did you end up getting involved in helping refugees in the first place?TR: I was going through a time in my life where I was second-guessing if I wanted to be in fashion. Being up close to the fashion industry I could see the materialism. I started volunteering on a whim; I didn’t even know the organization helped refugees when I signed up. The more I started volunteering I was inspired by the refugees and their culture.

HC: How many refugees have you employed?TR: We have 4 part time employees.

HC: Why is it called Neighbors Apparel?TR: I believe in loving our neighbors, anyone is a neighbor. We are all so connected in the world. Being in the fashion industry we need to be aware of how the industry does not treat certain workers well.

HC: What is your goal or mission for the company?TR: My goal for the company would be to help female refugees in Akron and create more jobs. The long-term goal would be to open a storefront in order to help develop our neighborhood.

HC: What is your favorite part of having your own company?TR: My favorite part is having an idea in your mind and seeing it materialize. Also, being able to help people and not have it be all about you.

HC: What was the hardest part of opening your own business?TR: Definitely the lack of experience. I was only 23 when I started the company and right out of college. I had no knowledge of entrepreneurship; it was definitely a big learning curve. It’s also intimidating being so young.

HC: What is one piece of advice you would give to people looking to start their own business?TR: Go in with the expectation that nothing will go the way you plan that will make it easier. It will be challenging no matter how great of a business plan you have.

HC: What events does Neighbors Apparel go to in order to sell products?TR: We go to different local pop-up markets in Cleveland, Columbus, and Akron as well as craft shows.

If you would like to learn more about Neighbors Apparel, the products they sell, or how they are helping refugees you can visit their website or follow them on social media below.

Instagram: neighborsapparel

Facebook: Neighbors Apparel

Twitter: @neighborsapp

Hi! My name is Sarah Waite and I am a sophomore Fashion Design and Pre-Law student. I love writing, sewing, crafting, and hanging with friends. Pinterest and Instagram addict!
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.