This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

We all have those accounts we follow on Instagram for no real reason besides the fact that they post the most amazing pictures. These pictures always have perfect lighting and a deep, meaningful caption. Even a picture of a donut is inspiring when taken by the right Insta pro. Here are some tips on how to create artistic posts for everyone’s favorite picture sharing app. 

1. Don’t use the Instagram app to take your pictures.

Instagram allows users to take a photo or video in the app. Don’t give into the temptation. You will get higher quality images by using your phone’s camera rather than the app. 

2. Pay attention to composition.

You don’t need to understand anything too complex about photography, just pay attention to the rule of thirds. Putting your subject in the middle of the photo is boring. Try slighty moving the subject to the left or right. A smartphone’s camera has a grid that will help you with this. 

3. Take multiple pictures.

It’s okay to take a lot of pictures of the same subject. This gives you more options when it comes to selecting a photo, and you can always delete the ones you don’t like.

4. Avoid using filters.

Yes, you heard me right. Instead of using a filter to fix lighting or cover up a pimple, use a retouching app that will allow you to play with the exposure and contrast of the picture. You can also remove blemishes easily with the Photoshop Express app. It’s free in the Apple Store.

5. Find the right background.

Solid colors make the best backgrounds because they allow the subject of the image to pop. If you’re taking pictures of food or outfits, try using a white table or find a bright, solid-colored wall to stand in front of.

6. Play with props.

It doesn’t matter why you have a pineapple on your head in the middle of the street. If you see a prop that’s a little out there, go for it! Sometimes the craziest ideas make the best pictures.

7. Use phone accessories.

You can buy special smartphone lenses to enhance your photo quality. Waterproof cases are also a great way to capture perfect summer moments in the pool.

8. If you like it, post it.

If you take an image that really speaks to you, go ahead and post it. It doesn’t matter if other people like the photo or not, it’s all about what you want your Instagram feed to look like. After all, your feed represents who you are, so don’t hold back! 

Be sure to follow us on Insta @hckentstate! We might even follow back…

I am a freshman in Fashion Merch. I currently run my personal blog (The Brooklyn Script) and have always loved writing and blogging. I am also on hall council and a member of FSO. I am from Columbus, OH.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.