StrangerThings StrangerThings4 8 00 01 36 18?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
StrangerThings StrangerThings4 8 00 01 36 18?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Courtesy of Netflix © 2022

7 Underrated Strong Female Heroines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

We all know how important female empowerment is. That’s why we celebrate it! Here are seven underrated bad-ass babes.

StrangerThings StrangerThings4 8 00 01 36 18?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Courtesy of Netflix © 2022
Emily, Until Dawn
R1qlxBaN99OWh3n 8db4sake0QjCHeZ15PGE2KzdqbMEzLUIvbqPx8BjG3aArHUEMawQ2u DlKIBpOkoc WV2slYB2AuSZNDuI3NIM2sQCF8bk5kPa 452UFlFWp415fVIe KBjcA24n9f2TuVK1p93zPG cIG4 e 2hK 80d DNwvlCp5PI9a63OAPVA

Emily is a confident and fiery heroine, who doesn’t get the credit she deserves. Emily doesn’t take shit from anyone, especially from those who get in her way. Her intelligence helps to not only save herself, but the other characters as well. She doesn’t deserve any of the hate she gets, and I think it’s because she’s a strong female won’t let anyone take advantage of her. However, Emily does definitely have a lot of growth from the start of the game, but she becomes a tough, brave and courageous heroine when her and her friends are threatened. She uses her wit and strength to survive on her own and is definitely the most intelligent character from until dawn. Emily knows her worth and won’t let anyone take it from her, which is just another reason to look up to this strong heroine.

Shuri, black panther, Wakanda Forever
hlbyusXTqs5sJBYZab36rm7te890VdumgIKeIfMyw8Q I5eAqQmeueafRbY0qqQ zqdtR0fLstyTg D0bYAlQP3hoHYHvOAErj6IYibyuibSeP lbQBcK4sc KHNq3QDoRGVn0iF98oH5lJGc9McfEU kxWNEPSgWvBUs4fyC rOxjAtcJ4oM UAFYKOHQ

Shuri’s strength is definitely not talked about enough. Shuri does everything in her power to fight against evil and injustice and looks great doing it. Her character will do anything to protect her family and Wakanda, even if it means putting herself in danger. Not to mention how badass she is and her ability to take down Wakanda’s enemies. Since “Wakanda Forever” is new in theaters, I won’t spoil anything. However, her strength, loyalty and compassion in that movie shows her to be a strong heroine to us and Wakanda.

nancy, stranger things
2jwz26QCGdambCYz8sA OiHLxYjPQdkBXj69asAD6D04R qcBN3S6VB5Xh

Nancy has always been a go-getter who will stop at nothing to get justice and stop the force that’s plaguing her and the town of Hawkins. Ever since season one, she’s used wit and power to avenge her best friend Barb and find answers to the questions that need answering. Whenever there’s potential danger, she’ll put herself first to protect the young protagonists of “Stranger Things.” She has definitely proven herself to be a strong heroine that’s not to be messed with.

Naru, Prey
gnOY UP56GQUqOuG9AkJDiu aNEN45UYH96E0s70QhhWo5kzTx6HVAN1 aXgioaxGrgDz5UTUH30F Y8TxC hG5KreLeKnGJ1RUVgz ib5Xt33HI3AA4ASoFMeuNNkgyTP5OYOAbQDI2neNkHjE523SDab DtP2YCgL 8OiRq 0nJYinO1Z h8SX3dhjWA

Naru is a heroine that needs to be talked about way more. Naru wants to prove herself to be just as powerful as the male hunters in her tribe and she does just that. She bravely faces predators and other hunters to protect her tribe and family even when it’s tough. On top of her strength, she’s very intelligent and uses clever methods to outsmart predators and eventually defeat them. Not to mention battling predators all by herself. All of these traits and more are why she’s a courageous heroine for her tribe and herself. She should definitely have more recognition.

Jessie, Gerald’s game
yhgQklzGYlcBk5Tqg4RCvzKIPdaRDT2B9JKWG1BRegktNC5WX0U1YpGDv04V 83j6p FAnadd6FJ19CL 8JrtLcN561CpynOOGvNTu3FjNVKtgDi1vWs6UdrWy0kGSkS6rIcLNPIziaNmDZXPyQSkIpQFJsl3GV7YOJoC0vqCB

Jessie is mentally and physically tough as nails and deserves more credit. When she gets trapped in her terrible situation, we learn all the hardships she’s had to endure and still dealing with. She uses her intelligence to survive in a situation where she is isolated and can only rely on herself. This pain fuels her to escape and speak up for herself and others. Even with all the terrifying thinks she witnesses, she goes on and stands up to fear. She’s the kind of heroine to prove that you can overcome anything and see the sun again.

Coraline, Coraline
CwJKqQY6MHt76BUUfNr moMVSmXdMAVw xjmT0aj Z9eQhGp2KA8jL

Coraline is brave, to say the least. She endures other mother terrorizing her and trying to replace her real mother, while being trapped in a different world. Yet, through all of this she manages to help others and fight back against her mother to eventually win. Coraline can definitely teach everyone about courage and strength in hard situations and how you can achieve anything if you have the will to overcome hardships.

Tiana, The princess and the frog
ox9l7vGocxN08dD9C3cvYi2TTPUBCD2Y3iTV Asp4zfV7Ep1wfBVVP9k Lhvg16BpYjMgffUz hnOVxQKmytCQXUAP3DZwwoIqzNKdyd XR6y69b4qPZi7JrNvcNXplIAa133lTFKdLPTXQ171MtGycPKNctBoTyMFc7 zGZUpGu yPNt4UkTh3ddlcQIA

Tiana needs to be celebrated way more than she is. Tiana throughout the whole movie works hard to achieve her goals and dreams, even when she faces discrimination, racism and sexism. She preserves and does the right thing in the end to help others, even if it means she has to sacrifice what she loves and wants. Throughout the movie she is kind and loving to everyone she encounters, yet won’t let anyone walk all over her. Her strength and sacrifice are only two of the many reasons to love and look up to her.

Vera LeCount

Kent State '26

Hello, I’m Vera! I'm a sophomore Fashion Merchandising major at Kent State University with a Minor in Visual Communication design. When I'm not in class I enjoy thrifting, hanging out with friends, styling, and experimenting with makeup. Being a campus coordinator with Hercampus is really important in my life and gives me an opportunity to help other women in creative ways to strengthen their resume and opportunities.