This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Since the pandemic pushed back many movie releases last year, I have been super excited for the end of this year as many of those movies are finally being released. There are several new movies I cannot wait to see, and here are seven of my most anticipated releases.

The Guilty (October 1st)

The Guilty is an adaptation of a Danish film by the same name. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal as a police officer who is demoted to a 9-1-1 dispatcher that receives a distressing call from a woman who has been abducted.

If you love crime thrillers, this should go to the top of your watch list, along with the star-studded cast that includes Ethan Hawke, Paul Dano and Riley Keough. The Guilty will be available to stream on Netflix and in limited theaters on October 1st.

Dune (October 22nd)

Likely the biggest blockbuster on this list, Dune is the live-action remake of the novel from 1965. Other film adaptations have been created in the past, but the novel is notoriously difficult to adapt, and several potential adaptations have fallen apart in pre-production.

The story follows Paul (Timothée Chalamet), who is born into a great destiny and must fight to protect his family and planet when conflict arises over the planet’s most desirable resource. With an all-star cast so impressive that people began to joke who is not in Dune (including Chalamet, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya and Jason Momoa), Denis Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival) directing and a score by Hans Zimmer, this is sure to be an epic. Dune is set to be released in theaters and on HBO Max on October 22nd.

The French Dispatch (October 22nd)

Timothée Chalamet double feature anyone? Acclaimed director Wes Anderson’s newest film, The French Dispatch, is a collection of stories told in a fictional American newspaper called “The French Dispatch.”

Fans of Anderson’s work are sure to be familiar with the intricate and whimsical worlds he creates along with the witty humor and sarcastic dialogue which are to be found in his newest film as shown in the trailer. With quite a large ensemble cast, Anderson’s frequent collaborators can be seen again in The French Dispatch, including Tilda Swinton, Bill Murray, Adrien Brody, Owen Wilson and Frances McDormand. The French Dispatch will be released in theaters on October 22nd.

Last Night in Soho (October 29th)

This is one of my most anticipated releases on this list, mostly due to the mystery that is left in the trailer as to what the movie is exactly about.

Last Night in Soho stars Thomasin McKenzie as an aspiring fashion designer who can inexplicably travel to the 1960s where she becomes entranced by a singer (Anya Taylor-Joy) when things take a grim turn. The psychological horror is directed by Edgar Wright, best known for directing Baby Driver and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Needless to say, this is a very different tone and genre coming from Wright, but whatever it may actually be like, I will be in theaters to see Last Night in Soho when it opens on October 29th.

House of Gucci (November 24th)

Calling all fashion and true crime fans! Lady Gaga and Adam Driver have teamed up in Ridley Scott’s House of Gucci, telling the story of the marriage and divorce of Patrizia and Maurizio Gucci, which eventually led to his murder.

Maurizio was the head of the Gucci fashion house making this a fabulous display of fashion throughout the decades of their marriage and divorce. This fashionable crime drama is going to the top of my watchlist until I can catch it in theaters November 24th.

Don’t Look Up (December 10th)

I am once again asking if you would like to see a movie with Timothée Chalamet.

Don’t Look Up is a disaster comedy following two astronomers who are tasked with going on a media tour to warn the world of a comet that is set to destroy the planet. I am intrigued by both the concept of this movie and what I would call random casting, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Timothée Chalamet, Jonah Hill, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Tyler Perry, Kid Cudi and Ariana Grande. Consider me confused but interested, Netflix. I will be watching when Don’t Look Up is released on December 10th.

West Side Story (December 10th)

I don’t think I have ever been so simultaneously excited and scared to see a movie. A remake of the 1961 film and the 1957 Broadway musical, West Side Story follows two teenagers who fall in love in the 1950s despite being from feuding families and different ethnic backgrounds that threaten to tear them apart.

The new adaptation is by acclaimed director Steven Spielberg and stars Rachel Zegler as Maria and Ansel Elgort as Tony. Although this film has all the makings of a hit, it has a few things working against it, from how classic the 1961 film is to the allegations against lead Ansel Elgort to the pandemic pushing back the release date a whole year. I will hesitantly be in theaters on December 10th.

There are so many great movies that are coming out this year that I did not get to include in this list. Which movies are you going to see?

Lainey is a senior at Kent State University studying Fashion Design with a minor in Costume Design & Technology. She is so excited to be the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Kent State this year and to start her career in costume design for film and television. Read on for the latest on film, fashion, music and much more!