This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

You know that moment when you open your closet to pick out your outfit for the day and think to yourself, “Ugh, I have nothing to wear!”, even though your closet is bursting with clothes? Yeah, we’ve all been there. Sometimes, even though you do have really cute clothes in your wardrobe, it’s difficult to style them in unique ways each time, and not end up with the same basic look every day. 

I think it’s really important to have some good quality basics in your wardrobe that you know you will re-wear multiple times and get the most use out of. It definitely saves you money and closet space, but it’s also so much more sustainable. Most of us have a simple, basic white sweater in our closets. A white sweater is such a staple and versatile item that can be styled differently in multiple ways.

For this article, I decided I would attempt to style a white sweater in a few different ways to show how easy it can be to achieve distinct looks with just one basic sweater. I used this super cute and fuzzy eyelash sweater that I stole from my mom’s closet (sorry, not sorry mom). Read on to see how I styled my basic white sweater in five unique and fun ways!

The Classy Black & White

For my first look, I went for a more fancy, evening look with a little bit of an edgy vibe. I paired the sweater with a metallic black pleated skirt (also stolen from my mom!). I put on these cute earrings with layered white crystals, or what my sister calls clear rock candy. Lastly, I added an edgy eyelet-studded black belt and, threw on some sleek black booties, and topped the look off with these quirky little cat-eye sunglasses.

The Boujee Chic

Layering on top of sweaters is very crucial in dealing with the freezing weather. I layered a warm faux fur coat over the white sweater for a trendy and boujee look and kept the rest of the outfit pretty simple with black skinny jeans. For accessories, I chose these black heeled lace-up boots, tiny oval sunglasses and simple silver hoops.

The Pop of Mustard

Mustard yellow is always a fun and trendy color for fall and winter. For this look, I styled the sweater with a long pleated mustard yellow skirt for that pop of mustard. To battle the cold, you can always slip on leggings underneath the skirt and roll it up so they remain hidden. I accessorized with chic white heeled boots and a statement snakeskin print belt bag. 

The Preppy Monochrome

For this preppy, black-and-white monochrome work look, I layered a white button-up shirt under the sweater and paired it with these skinny black jeans. Layering underneath sweaters is the perfect way to beat the cold! I accessorized with a silver statement necklace, black booties and a black faux leather tote bag. 

The Floral Casual

I think styling colorful summer pieces in winter is such an underrated trend. Even though winter is all about the neutrals, bringing in pops of color into your style can elevate your looks instantly. For this look, I layered the sweater over a flowy maxi dress. I then added a red mini handbag and red sunglasses for a pop of color and to bring out the red in the dress’ floral print. I put on gold hoops with pearls, slipped on my trusty platform Vans and threw my hair up in a bun for a casual and effortless look!

Because I’m an international student, I don’t have the luggage space to bring that many clothes to college. That means I have to use what I have and style it in creative ways. I love how you can use the same sweater to create such different looks that can be worn for a variety of occasions. Each look can give off an entirely different vibe and overall feel depending on what other clothing pieces you pair with it and how you accessorize your outfit. I hope this gave you some ideas for elevating your style this winter season, and that it inspires you to switch up the way you style your favorite sweater each time you re-wear it!  

Khushi Kothari

Kent State '21

Khushi Kothari is a junior studying fashion merchandising and minoring in fashion media at Kent State University. She is from Mumbai, India, but was brought up in Bangkok, Thailand, and has dreamed of coming to the U.S. for as long as she can remember. In her spare time, she finds herself listening and jamming out to music, buying more clothes than she really needs, video calling her family and friends back home, playing pool, and hysterically laughing at memes with her friends. She also has an unhealthy obsession with burritos and bubble tea.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.