This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Christmas is the perfect time of year to give back to those in need. The Salvation Army ringers seem to be outside of every single store, holiday songs sing about the joys of generosity, and it seems like everybody takes a moment to focus on giving and sharing. However, giving back doesn’t need to end with dropping a dollar in a bucket at the grocery store! There are countless ways to give back during the holidays. Read on to find out a few of them!

Volunteer

There are so many ways to volunteer during the holidays. Whether you are working in a soup kitchen or reading books to kids, the work you do will spread some holiday cheer to those who may be down on their luck and will brighten your day as well. 

Collect Toys for a Toy Drive

Around the holidays, many places sponsor toy drives to give to kids who otherwise would not receive anything for the holidays. Not only is this an amazing way to give back, but it is also festive and fun! Many stores even have events where you receive a list from a child and can buy what is on their list and send it to them, which is both very easy and incredibly rewarding. 

Visit Your Local Senior Center

Many older adults are alone on holidays, and visiting with them is an easy way to brighten their season. Some senior centers even have programs where you can come during dinner and have a meal with one of the seniors and spend time talking and playing board games with them. You may even hear some good stories and advice!

Give a Generous Tip

Sometimes, the smallest things make the most difference in the lives of others. During the holidays, giving a server at a restaurant a larger tip than usual, for example, can make that server’s holiday. It may even help them provide for their family or help them afford that sweater that their best friend really wanted for Christmas.

Bake and Bake Some More

Maybe you want to make an impact on your community specifically, and you can do this with some baking! Everyone is stressed during the holidays, so gifting your neighbor a good casserole or friends from work cookies can brighten their holiday season. Maybe even bake some dishes for your local food shelter or church’s Christmas dinner. Simple food donations can go a long way for your loved ones.

During the holidays, giving back seems to be on everybody’s minds. However, by making charity a focal point of your holiday, you can totally change the circumstances of another person’s holiday. Even by just tipping your server more than usual or visiting with an older adult, your actions can completely make the holiday of someone around you. You never know whose life you might change; happy giving!

Alina Whitehouse

Kent State '23

Alina is a freshman at Kent State University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Fashion Media. She loves painting, baking, acting, dancing, and dogs, and is passionate about creating awareness for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. She hopes to work for a magazine in the future and run her own blog, and she can usually be found binge watching Friends or Jane the Virgin, or watching Tastemade videos on Instagram.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.