5 Irish Foods to Fuel Your St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Growing up, my family was always very proud of our Irish heritage. Because of this, my family always enjoyed making Irish-themed foods for St. Patrick’s Day, which I have come to be quite familiar with over the years.

When most people think of classic Irish foods, the first things that probably come to mind are potatoes and bread. Though this is pretty accurate, there are several quintessential Irish dishes that are perfect for celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. Some may be traditional and some may not, but either way, if try any of these dishes, it is sure to be a spirited holiday.

Shepherd’s Pie

An Irish classic, shepherd’s pie is probably one of the most well-known Irish dishes. This meal consists of meat, usually ground beef, with vegetables on top and mashed potatoes on top of that. After being baked in the oven, this dish is ready to be served. It can also be baked with a crust on the bottom to make it more of a pie, but this is optional.

This savory pie is a classic combination of ingredients, but is put together in a unique way. Shepherd’s pie is usually the main course for many St. Patrick’s Day celebrations.

irish Stew

Combining traditional Irish ingredients like meat and potatoes can never go wrong. Putting them into a stew along with vegetables is a classic dish in Ireland. Cozy, delicious and filling, an Irish stew would be the perfect dish for a nice, chilly St. Patrick’s Day.

Irish Soda Bread

Soda bread is one of my personal favorite St. Patrick’s Day foods. It is a leavened bread that usually has raisins or other dried fruit in it. This bread has a kind of unique texture, is sweet, and is delicious with butter or jam.

This bread is a great option to add to any meal as a side dish for the holiday, especially paired alongside shepherd’s pie or stew.

Green Velvet Cupcakes

Though it may not be a traditional Irish food, green velvet cake is a great way to show your St Patty’s Day spirit. Adding a little green to your cake might be the way to go if you are just looking to add a touch of color to your celebration. It also tastes no different from red velvet cake, it’s simply a different color. If you’re looking for a festive way to celebrate the holiday, green velvet cake or cupcakes are a great option.

banoffee pie

Banoffee pie is a unique, yummy dessert pie. This dessert combines toffee, bananas and whipped cream on pie crust to make a dish that is surprisingly tasty. If trying out a new, unique dessert for St. Patrick’s Day sounds up your alley, I recommend trying this pie out.

With all of the celebrations going on on St. Patrick’s Day, it’ll be important to eat some food that will fuel your day. If you’re looking for something festive to try, these Irish/St. Patty’s Day themed dishes are sure to get you in the holiday spirit.

Addison Foreman

Kent State '24

Addison is a journalism student at Kent State University. In her free time she loves to read, write, listen to music, and cuddle with her cat.