What Your Favorite Color Says About Your Personality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

We can learn quite a lot from colors. They can influence and represent our different moods and personalities. We all know that we wear certain colors for certain events, and we relate certain colors with certain things. Some people naturally associate colors to people, music, emotions, and feelings. But, did you know that it’s an acutal study? It’s called Color Psychology and it’s the study of hues and their influences on human behavior. When I found it, I thought it was interesting. So, here’s what your favorite color says about your personality! 

Yellow

Yellow is a very vibrant and happy color. We often associate it with sunlight, warmth, and inspiration. Yellow represents communication, enlightenment, and spirituality. It increases mental activity, energy, and awareness. However it could also bring irrationality, jealousy, fear, cowardice, and anxiety. Yellow cautions us. If yellow is your favorite color: you are intellectual and highly imaginative, look forward to the future, are idealistic, and have a cheerful spirit. You are very analytical and a perfectionist. You’re very independent and like to keep a small circle of friends. You can also be very critical of yourself and others. You’re spontaneous, private concerning your emotions, and good with networking. (Journalists often relate to the color yellow!) But above all, you have such a cheerful and happy disposition that others find it fun to be around you. 

Green

Green often reminds us of nature and life. Since it is the combination of yellow and blue, it has a little of their traits. It represents purity, health, growth, and productivity. It is gentle and relaxing. It connects us to ourselves, nature, and the quiet moments in life. Green is also linked to spirituality and soul-searching. It reminds us of what we long for subconsciously. Green promotes balance and security. It also promotes organization and strategic thinking. If green is your favorite color: you are kind, practical, well-balanced, generous and compassionate. You love learning, nature, wear your heart on your sleeve, and are an open-book. You also strive for balance and in your search for it, can sometimes become anxious or unsettled. You also have a very calm presence, a great need to be loved, are a joiner, and have high moral standards. You’re an observer and very strong-willed.

Blue

Blue is a very common color and has a very rich history. It is usually associated with tranquility and calmness. It represents inner reflection and its effects are the direct opposite of red’s. Blue could also represent haunting and cold feelings, as well. We usually associate the color with intelligence, concentration, and mental clarity. It is also representative of confidence without aggression. If blue is your favorite color: you value communication and honesty, may be conservative, reliable and trustworthy; are very reflective and thoughtful, genuine and sincere; and responsible. But, you don’t like being messed with and trust very easily. You may benefit from meditation, introspection, and self-discovery.

Purple

Purple is a mixture of blue and red. As such, it takes from each of those colors. Purple can be associated with luxury and royalty, relaxation, stability, and wisdom. It represents dignity and independence. It sparks curiosity and creativty, is uplifting and inspiring, and very soothing. However, darker shades could also represent sadness and frustration. If purple is your favorite color, you are sensitive, compassionate, understanding, and supportive. People are drawn to your charsimatic energy and come to you for advice. You may be more introverted than extroverted and it’s sometime easy for people to take advantage of you because of those traits. 

Red

Red is a very strong and powerful color. It may be the strongest. Red is associated with passion, romance, life, and celebration. But it can also represent destruction and evil. Red can enhance your metabolism and raise your blood pressure. It’s the color that attracts our attention the most. It excites us and cautions us against danger. If red is your favorite color: you may be a persistent person, a romantic, are passionate and dominant; and very strong. 

Black

Black is a very ambiguous color. It can mean different things to different people and everyone can have a different reaction to it. Black can evoke power and calm; bring harmony; and have a grounding effect. However it can also be associated with sadness, depression, and death. When we wear it, we feel sophisticated. If black is your favorite color: you look for protection from negativity, may be a private person, prefer to keep an aura of mystery around yourself, and are very strong. Negative traits may include: depressive, pessimistic, secretive, or controlling thoughts and tendencies. 

Along with these colors influencing your personality, your usage of them can also influence events in your life, as well as those around you. Pay attention to how colors are used in your daily life and how others react when they are present. People may even react to you differently depending on what color you are wearing! There are so many colors and hues that I couldn’t include them all. The different shades also have different meanings. Don’t feel left out if I didn’t include your favorite color! If you have time, you can always take a look at one of the many websites that discuss this very topic. Reflect on different colors. Write down what or how they make you feel. I think you’ll find out more about yourself through the process — I know I did! 

Hi, I’m Jazmine! I am an English Education major at Kennesaw State University. I am also a writer for HC at KSU. Follow me on Instagram! (@jazminenxcole)
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!