This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

In college, you tend to juggle many things at once.

As a sophomore in college (Junior in the Fall woo!), I have experienced quite a lot. Like most college kids, I struggle with balancing classes, homework, my job, social life, family, etc. It can be quite overwhelming sometimes. However, through my struggles, I’ve learned and grown a lot in college, too, and I want to share some of the things I’ve learned.

Take Advantage of Resources

College offers many opportunities to students to help hone their skills and obtain their goals and careers. I have learned to take advantage of the resources here in college. As an aspiring writer, there are many opportunities that I could take that would help increase my chances of getting a job and improve my writing skills.

I find that clubs are a great (and fun!) resource to have and to be a part of. They can help increase your networking skills, give you positive feedback and constructive criticism, help you gain more knowledge on a particular topic, and of course, develop friendships with other people. I have personally joined many clubs and love the laidback atmosphere it has. There’s no pressure to be perfect and it’s fun to get out and collaborate with other people to make something that you’re proud of or be a part of your portfolio/resume.

Teachers, I have found, are also great resources to have and go to because they are there to help you whenever you need them. Most teachers have worked in the field you’re trying to work in or have a great deal of knowledge within the field. They can give advice, and recommendations for jobs and internships, and give you an insight into what your career will be. There has been plenty of times when I have asked a teacher for advice or feedback on a paper I had to write.

Take Risks

Taking risks is another thing I have learned in college. As someone who tends to overthink and have negative thoughts when it comes to not having the courage to do things, it can be scary and hard sometimes. There are times when I am afraid to fail, to be judged by others, or to not get the support that I want and need. The best thing that I have learned to solve this problem is to just do it.

Taking risks will help you to improve your confidence and force you to get out of your comfort zone. It all boils down to your understanding that there will be people that will hate on you and that wouldn’t want you to succeed. There will be times when you fail. As long as you don’t let failure become the truth and show people that you are passionate about what you are doing then people will gravitate towards that and will support you. Don’t let the bad outweigh the good.

The Importance of Self Care

The last thing I learned is about self care. Self care is really important especially now that we’re at the age of figuring out everything on our own. It can often be a lot on one person. As college students, we tend to get burnt out and neglect ourselves often due to the stress of life. I have experienced times when my motivation will plummet. My creativity was drained. My thoughts would become clouds even my health would decline. This is why self care is important.

Sometimes you have to remind yourself that it’s okay to take time for yourself. It’s okay to take breaks. Go hang out with friends. Drink water. Take a nap. Spend time with family.  Do what’s best for you. Your well-being it’s not worth sacrificing.

Gahnique Bell

Kennesaw '25

Hey guys! My name is Gahnique Bell and I am an English Major and a Film Studies Minor here at Kennesaw State University! I'm essentially a huge nerd who loves to read, write, draw, play video games, and watch tv shows/movies! I also love to explore different places, learn about new things, and enjoy the company of my friends and family!