This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

As Thanksgiving approaches, we’re all getting ready for one of the main dishes of the day, turkey. I will say that I am not a huge fan of turkey, but I somehow can’t resist the deep-fried turkey that my dad cooks. Below is the recipe that he uses to make this delicious dish.

Materials needed

• Turkey
  • Injection and seasoning of your choice
  • Peanut oil
  • Large outdoor or indoor fryer
  • Timer

You will first start out cleaning your turkey. After your turkey is cleaned, you will then move on to injecting the turkey with your choice of seasoning. In my family, we usually use Tony’s Creole-style injection marinade along with our normal daily seasonings such as pepper, salt, garlic, and onions. This can be done the night before or the day of!

Next, you will pour your peanut oil into the pot to begin heating up. Start on the high heat of about 375 degrees or your preferred temperature. If injecting the day of, you can start heating your oil as you are injecting your turkey. Once your grease is hot enough, you can then slowly ease the turkey into the oil.

The cooking time usually depends on the weight of the turkey. For example, if you have a 20lb turkey you would cook your turkey 3.5 minutes per pound resulting in an hour and 10 minutes of cooking time.

After the initial time is up, we usually let it continue cooking in the oil for another 5 minutes or so to add extra crisp to the turkey.

Once done to your liking, take the turkey out of the oil and let the rest of the excess oil drip off. Now you are ready to put on your dish and serve!

This has easily become one of the top items on my plate!

Enjoy and happy Thanksgiving!

Myesha Mays

Kennesaw '21

I'm a KSU senior majoring in psychology