Taylor Swift’s Lover Release is More Than Just Another Album Release

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Taylor Swift’s newest album Lover has Swifties jamming out, but it’s more than just another album release for the star. Her other albums don’t belong to her, but Lover is her very own. A few months ago, Scott Borchetta sold Big Machine Label Group to Scooter Braun, a man with a history of publicly bullying Taylor Swift, along with the rights to Swift’s first six albums. The singer was unable to purchase her master tapes without signing a contract binding her to Big Machine for another ten years and earning back each album one-by-one by releasing new ones with the record label.

Swift will rerecord her first five albums starting November 2020, but for now, Lover is the only album she owns. Swift is undeniably excited about owning this album and is celebrating her achievement on social media. In an Instagram post from August 22nd, the pop star writes “This album is very much a celebration of love, in all its complexity, coziness, and chaos. It’s the first album of mine that I’ve ever owned, and I couldn’t be more proud. I’m so excited that Lover is out NOW.” With 18 tracks ranging from upbeat songs about moving on from past relationships to sad songs about the trials of love. To a raw, emotional masterpiece dedicated to her mother and the journey she faces again with cancer, Lover is the longest and arguably best album Swift has released. While the singer still faces legal challenges, she can sit back for a moment and enjoy the positive feedback fans, and other listeners are giving Lover.

The album is available to stream on Spotify, Apple Music, and YouTube. 

Emily Rubin

Kennesaw '22

Emily is a senior at Kennesaw State University.
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!