This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Growing up I didn’t have queer influences to help me navigate through my sexuality. While Glee emerged my freshman year of high school, there weren’t artists that were making music that I could identify with as a queer woman. It wasn’t until the popularity of TikTok, and the emergence of ‘gay TikTok’ that I found queer artists I could relate to.

Maddie Zahm
@maddiezahms

realizing you all knew the words was like collective therapy

♬ original sound – Maddie Zahm

Maddie Zahm performed on American Idol and I completely missed it. During her promotion of her new EP, I stumbled upon some of her TikToks. Her music is full of messages about perseverance, self-love and hope. She came out to her parents through one of her songs on You Might Not Like Her.

Fletcher

I knew more about Fletcher’s relationship drama with her ex and her ex’s new girlfriend Becky before I knew about her music career. With that said, I was incredibly surprised by her debut album and loved just about every track. My favorite song on the album is Sting.

G Flip

G Flip is more recognizable for her Gay 4 Me anthem featuring Lauren Sanders, but the non-binary artist recently dropped Waste of Space which highlights the struggles of growing up non-binary. The Australian native recently moved to the United States to further her music career.

Melissa Walsh

Kennesaw '22

Melissa is a Senior at Kennesaw studying both Journalism and Political Science. Her interests include politics, environmental issues, and human rights. In addition to being a writer for the Kennesaw Chapter, Melissa also serves as senior editor.