My Thoughts & Predictions Based on the 2022 Grammy Nominations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Last week the Recording Academy released the nominations for the 64th Grammy Award Show. This is the night where our favorite singers, songwriters, producers, and composers gather in one building to see whose works of art were recognized by the Recording Academy. 

When it comes to the Recording Academy despite having a prestigious reputation in the music industry, many think that they are either out of touch or are deeply biased towards certain musicians. My hope is that they recognize the artists that deserve a Grammy award.

I’m expecting Miss Driver’s License, aka Olivia Rodrigo, to pull a Billie and take home many awards at her first Grammy. Rodrigo’s debut was nearly a year ago but she has made an impression in the music industry with her first album Sour. She is nominated for 7 different categories including Best New Artist and Album of the Year. I think she will walk away with at least 4 Grammy Awards to her name but nonetheless, I’m just excited to see her. 

Olivia’s Instagram Post of her reactions to her nominations.

I will riot if the Grammy’s do a repeat of what they did last year by nominating Doja Cat in multiple categories to only give her none. I think she made her presence in the industry even more prominent this year with her amazing performances, singles, and the release of her third album Planet Her. She has 8 nominations this year and fingers crossed that she pulls a win. 

Doja’s Instagram Post.

I wasn’t surprised to see that Billie Eilish was nominated in 7 categories but I was a little shocked that Justin Bieber got 8 nominations. He has nominations for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, R&B Performance, and more. I didn’t think his latest album was not that big compared to others. At the same time, I really don’t listen to his music anymore so that could be a factor. I should consider the fact that the Grammys gave him a nomination for Yummy (of all songs) last year so anything is possible.

Billie’s IG Post.

I really wished that The Weeknd would have submitted some of his work this year because I believe the Save Your Tears Remix with Ariana Grande would have a strong chance to win in one of the major categories. I understand why he chose not to submit his music based on his history of being snubbed by the Grammy’s even with him having some of the most critically acclaimed music of the year. Hopefully in the future things come together for the better.

The Weeknd’s IG Post about Save Your Tears Remix going Number #1 on the charts.

I’m really happy to see that Jasmine Sullivan is finally being recognized by the Recording Academy for her amazing work. I grew up listening to her music so it’s pleasing to see her getting the accolades that she deserves. Her album Heaux Tales was phenomenal and from that, she got 3 nominations. Sullivan is in several R&B categories including R&B Album, Song, and Performance. 

All in all, I’m looking forward to seeing who takes home a Grammy and what the performances are going to be like. 

Be sure to tune in to the 64th Grammy’s Award show on Monday, January 31, 2022, on CBS to see what happens.

Ambria Burton

Kennesaw '22

Ambria is a senior at Kennesaw State University where she studies journalism and political science. She enjoys listening to music, spending too much time on Pinterest, and learning about entertaining things within the world. She hopes to write in political and local reporting once she graduates.