Culture > News

I’m Every Woman: An Open Letter To Women Who Inspire Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

In 1980, President Jimmy Carter declared the birth of National Women’s History Week. Like many transformational presidents, he transformed the nation by establishing a weeklong celebration of the “achievements, leadership, courage, strength and love of the women who built America.” As a result, many women finally began to receive praise for their wondrous acts. However, President Carter’s remarkable declaration was not the last time a formal celebration of women would be established. Over six years later, National Women’s History Week evolved into a monthlong celebration entitled Women’s History Month. Thankfully, the curation of a celebratory month was not only well deserved but also effective. It has and continues to be a powerful celebration of many wondrous women that have blazed trails despite facing sexism and misogyny. During this Women’s History Month, the likes of Anna May Wong; the first Asian-American Actress to be nationally recognized, Kalpana Chawla; the first Indian Female Astronaut, Raven Wilkinson; the first African-American Female Classical Ballet Dancer and Jeanette Rankin; the first female U.S. Representative among many others are powerfully being celebrated. Consequently, while this month serves as a national celebration of great women, it is also serving as a source of inspiration. With the telling of pertinent stories, many girls and women have become inspired by wondrous female trailblazers. Yes, they alike are finding significant reasons to sing Chaka Khan’s famous “I’m Every Woman” a little bit louder every day. This month I too have been inspired. Like every Women’s History Month, I have discovered multiple women that inspire me to dream, curate goals, obtain space, and create meaningful works. To commemorate this groundbreaking month, I have decided to write a letter, an open letter, to some of the women that inspire me; the wondrous women that empower me to achieve greatness and sing “I’m Every Woman” in an even louder tone. 

Dear Wondrous Women,  

In a world where women are oftentimes objectified, misrepresented, and make at least $0.48 to a man’s dollar, I have always searched for women that have achieved greatness despite repressive odds. Naturally, at a young age, I began looking to the many women within my family. I found remarkable stories, strong dedication, and a multitude of inspirations. Yes, upon analyzing my mother, grandmothers, aunts, female cousins, and legacies of my great-grandmothers, I proudly discovered that they too are wondrous women. They powerfully represent women that press forward despite sexism, make groundbreaking decisions in both their professional and personal lives and garner much success. All of them have blazed trails while living within times that were repressive; times that considered the thought of a female Vice President to be absolutely absurd. I have also simultaneously searched beyond my bloodline and found inspirational women that have massively impacted many arenas. Nevertheless, among many women, I have discovered you, a woman of the pen, a woman of the media. Upon being introduced to your work, I was set ablaze with divine inspiration and empowered to continue my pursuit of obtaining space within the journalism industry.

American Poet Phillis Wheatley
Photo by Schomburg Center from Wikimedia distributed under a CC-PD-Mark
Thank you Phillis Wheatley for your strong example of pressing forward despite repressive times. Although experiencing the physical chains of slavery, you powerfully utilized your pen. I can only imagine how your works impacted those within your era. Yet, I undoubtedly know that your poems such as “On Being Brought from Africa to America” are still very much meaningful in this modern-day era. Effectively, they describe the transition process that occurred for the African slave. They also further connect me to my ancestors that managed to survive the horrendous voyage from Africa to America. Nevertheless, I must admit that I am most inspired by your dedication to the pen. Although a slave, you remained dedicated to creating meaningful works and published them for the masses to view; making you the second woman and first African-American to publish a book of poetry. I strongly believe that you stand as an important representative that a woman’s poetic talent is equally important and just as impactful as a man’s talent. Similar to Shakespeare, your words are laced with grace, refined, beloved, and will forever be etched across the minds of many. Mrs. Wheatley, you, a wondrous woman, inspire me to remain dedicated to my pen. Like you, I will not refuse to use it despite difficult times. Instead, I too will use my pen to create works that document the era that I live in, prove that a woman’s work is equally important, and inspire the generations of young girls that will take creative flight after me.

Journalist Ida B. Wells
Photo by Mary Garrity restored by Adam Cuerden distributed under a Public Domain license
“The way to right wrongs is to turn the light of truth upon them.” Mrs. Ida B. Wells, I thank you for never letting your sex or race withhold you from disseminating the truth. There will never be enough words to describe how impactful your work was during the 19th and 20th centuries. As a journalist and activist, you informed the nation about the plight of women and African-Americans. Truly, you assisted in the eradication process of many misconceptions surrounding these societal groups. In writing for newspapers such as The New York Age, Chicago Daily Inter-Ocean, and The Conservator, you highlighted the evils of lynching and acted as a driving force to end its reign in America’s South. Alike, your journalism skills worked to wreck the high oppression walls that stood before women and advocated for equality. Powerfully, your work screamed “The Future is Female” and  “Black Lives Matter” before they became well-known chants in an era that includes advanced technology. Mrs. Wells, I am inspired by you and your legendary works. Today, you inspire me to continue to pursue journalism. However, I am certain that you will inspire me to actively advocate for all people tomorrow. I can only hope that my future professional work will effectively inform and advocate as powerfully as yours did. Thank you for being an inspiration. Thank you for being a wondrous woman.
“Blayne Alexander”
Photo by Blayne Alexander
 Blayne Alexander, while I have certainly been inspired by both Mrs. Wheatley and Mrs. Wells, I have recently been inspired by you. Prior to our December 2020 Her Campus Interview, I was inspired by your journalism skills and achievements as you have covered pertinent stories such as the U.S. Presidential Inaugurations of Former President Barack Obama, the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, and the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday. Nevertheless, after completing the interview, I became inspired by your personal story. Your story powerfully proves that while dreaming is effective, setting attainable goals is necessary in obtaining space within professional industries. In evolving from a young girl with a great dream to a prominent NBC News Correspondent, it is clear that goals, topped with productive action, are a powerful tool for success. I honestly am inspired by this newfound knowledge and will continue to apply it to my own path. Additionally, I am inspired by your commitment to displaying diversity. In fact, in our interview, you noted that, as a journalist, it is your duty to highlight diversity and educate individuals on the subjects they may be ignorant towards. Mrs. Alexander, I can only hope that my goal of being a professional journalist will one day come to fruition. Yet, I know that after my two-hour interview with you,  I have a powerful example of a wondrous woman within the journalism industry.

TV Producer Shelitha Hurd
Original photo by Hannah Watson
Thank you Shelitha Hurd for inspiring me. Although we only recently met in February of 2021, you have already inspired me greatly. Specifically, you have inspired me to understand the importance of female producers. In being a producer for WSB-TV, you have proven that the need for women behind the camera is just as important as the need for women in front of the camera. Like Santana Leucine and Ava DuVernay, you have and continue to show that when a woman receives the opportunity to produce, groundbreaking works and powerful messages are translated to the masses. I thank you for providing me with this wonderful lesson as it is important for media students to understand and explore all areas within the media profession. Honestly, I am inspired by your glass-breaking actions. Yet, I am also inspired by your dedication to kindness. Of course, kindness is a virtue that we are taught at a young age to possess. Nevertheless, you strongly noted that it is the key to obtaining space in the media profession. In fact, similar to Maya Angelou’s famous words, you powerfully alluded that “people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Therefore, thank you for inspiring me and being an example of a modern-day wondrous woman. 

NBC News Correspondent Blayne Alexander and WSB-TV Producer Shelitha Hurd, I am honored to proclaim that I recently received the opportunity to meet and learn from both of you. Hopefully, as I continue my pursuit of journalism, I too will garner as much success as you have already obtained. It is my hope that my evolution will reveal me and my journalistic work to be that of a wondrous woman.

Tv Producer Shelitha Hurd, NBC Correspondent Blayne Alexander and Hannah Watson
Original photo by Hannah Watson

(From Left to Right:)
WSB-TV Producer Shelitha Hurd, Her Campus Kennesaw Writer Hannah Watson and NBC News Correspondent Blayne Alexander

As I close this open letter, again, I am consumed with divine inspiration. Phillis Wheatley, thank you for reminding me to stay dedicated to my purpose and pen despite repressive odds. Thank you Ida B. Wells for motivating me to encourage and advocate for all people even in my journalistic writings. Blayne Alexander, thank you for teaching me how to not only dream, but to also set professional goals and pursue them with excellence. Thank you Shelitha Hurd for educating me on the importance of female producers and the power of humanity. During this Women’s History Month, I am proud to be a recipient of the insight that belongs to all of you. Together, you have invigorated me and emboldened me to say that I am every woman.

Inspired, 

Hannah Watson

Hannah Watson is a Senior at Kennesaw State University majoring in Journalism and Emerging Media. Since high school, she has aspired to be a successful journalist. Actively, she works to unveil the diverse views and lifestyles of those within society and effectively inform all who will listen. As a Her Campus Kennesaw writer, she is seeking the pursuit of excellence in the dissemination of transcending information, gaining experience and encouraging women. Hannah is also a creative writer, bookworm and lover of music. She enjoys writing on all topics.
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!