Dear White People
Dear White People
Netflix

I Just Finished ‘Dear White People’ Volume 4: Here’s Everything You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I just finished binge-watching the final volume of Dear White People in two days. Watching the final volume was so bittersweet. Even though it was a nice ending to the show, knowing that it would be the last time I got to watch these characters I’ve grown to love since I was in high school was hard. I almost did not want to watch the last episode because I knew it would be the end. This season was full of twists and shocking turns, relationship drama, and musical numbers.

Season 2 Lol GIF by Dear White People Netflix - Find & Share on GIPHY

The volume shows Lionel signing books in the distant future and Sam dropping by to surprise him. It’s apparent that they live in prevalent pandemics in this future timeline, and lockdowns are mandated in a high-tech way. However, this is not the only shocking difference. Sam and Lionel are estranged, and viewers have no idea why.

This volume does not include a storyline about Sam and Lionel trying to solve a mystery, but it leaves viewers with the job of solving all the mysteries it presents. The entire volume revolves around the idea that Troy wants BSU to take over the Varsity show, which is a traditionally white, racist musical. A freshman comes in and is ready to shake things up and makes it known that she will protest the show along with everyone who participates.

Another major part of the storyline is a Big Brother-like television show called the Big House. If you watch Dear White People, you know that the television shows the characters watch in the lounge area of the residence hall are extremely important. This time, the only difference is that one of their close friends is now a cast member of this show, Coco. The whole nation watches as Coco fights for the chance to be the first Black winner of the Big House.

Even though the show’s format was the same as it began in the future and went back in time to tie up loose ends by going to each character’s point of view, it was certainly different with this season being a musical. It was very clear that the actors did not sign up in the beginning to be singers. The singing is a bit off-putting at first, but soon it becomes bearable and a little exciting to watch.

Although it was not perfect, this season was an amazing ending to the show that we have grown to love. We get to watch the group graduate and see what their futures hold. It’s a beautiful ending, and I am glad Netflix gave Dear White People the ending it truly deserved. Goodbye Sam, Lionel, Troy, Coco, Reggie, Jo, Gabe, and Al! Thank you for the amazing last few seasons.

Season 2 No Sticker by Dear White People Netflix for iOS & Android | GIPHY
Vernesha Brown

Kennesaw '23

I'm Vernesha and I'm a junior Public Relations major. You can follow me on Instagram @_vernesha_ or on Twitter @vernesha219!