Black History Month: 10 Songs for Black Women Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

Happy Black History Month, friends! While celebrating Black history should be an everyday occurrence, this month especially is the time to celebrate everything we are – our culture, our lifestyles, our greatness – we are amazing! 

Now more than ever, we also have to realize the many and major contributions Black women have done all over the world. Black women are at the forefront in every aspect of life from business and economics to education, public health, and entertainment. To be a black woman is to be one of the most beautiful creations. 

To celebrate the beauty of Black women and Black History Month, I’ve created a ten-song playlist that I believe exudes a Black women’s confidence (made by Black women for Black women)! Feel free to add these songs to a playlist and share them with others! 

“Woman” – doja cat

I’m starting off the playlist with one of the most popular songs from 2021 (and probably will be one of the biggest songs of the 2020s). Doja Cat’s “Woman” is an instant confidence booster and the sensual Afrobeats transport you to another world. I also find the lyrics to be so inspiring: “I mean I could be the leader, head of all the states, I could smile and jiggle it ’til his pockets empty, I could be the CEO, just look at Robyn Fenty…” Not only is Doja supporting women from all walks of life, but she is also declaring that women can be anything they want to be if they put their minds to it and work for it. 

“Bow down & I’ve been on” (homecoming – live) -Beyonce

While listed as separate songs on the album, the two flow so seamlessly that I’ve decided to count them as one song. This live version of “Bow Down and I’ve Been On” from Beyonce’s historical and iconic Beychella set gets the positive blood flowing through my veins. The trumpets playing at the beginning even make me feel like dancing along! Trust me, one listen and you’ll understand why. 

“Pretty Girl Rock” – Keri Hilson

We’re gonna take it back to the 2010s when this song was dominating the radio, school talent shows, and family get-togethers all over the country. Even though the song is 12 years old now, it still provides a positive message for women – especially Black women. The chorus can still resonate with a lot of us today: “All eyes on me when I walk in, no question that this girl’s a ten. Don’t hate me ’cause I’m beautiful. Don’t hate me ’cause I’m beautiful. My walk, my talk, the way I dress, it’s not my fault so please don’t trip. Don’t hate me ’cause I’m beautiful. Don’t hate me ’cause I’m beautiful.” I really love the music video for “Pretty Girl Rock”, because Keri Hilson and two of her background dancers showcase black women through the decades. It’s a beautiful celebration of Black women. 

“Without Me” – Fantasia (feat. Kelly Rowland & Missy Elliott) 

When fourteen-year-old me heard this song on the radio for the first time, I found a song for life. Fantasia, Kelly, and Missy understood the assignment and aced it with flying colors. Fantasia and Kelly’s vocals combined with Missy’s lyrical flow make for a perfect trio and a well-rounded song. “Without Me” oozes Black women confidence to me because the song is all about not needing a man and doing better than fine without him. They even state that their men wouldn’t even be where they were right now if it wasn’t for them. The independent woman vibes the song gives are immaculate. 

“Like that B” – Flo Milli 

We’re heading back to the 2020s with one of Flo Milli’s most recognizable songs – “Like that B”. This song is one of the lead singles from her debut mixtape, “Ho, why is you here?” – which dominated the summer of 2020. Listening to this song, how could you not feel like the baddest person to walk the planet? Flo Milli also serves LOOKS in the music video!

“Savage Remix” (feat. Beyonce) – Megan thee Stallion 

I don’t think this playlist would be complete without the 2020 duet of the summer. Megan and Beyonce practically dominated the world with this remix from Meg’s Suga album. There’s something about Megan’s perfect verses and Beyonce’s honey vocals that made everyone fall in love. This song is perfect for Black women confidence because it shows a Black woman’s power. Beyonce is considered to be one of the greatest performers ever and Megan’s influence on the music industry can’t be ignored. They are some of the major names in music and it shows that Black women can do anything they set their minds to. 

“No Scrubs (With Rap)”- TLC

We’re going back to the 90s with TLC’s No Scrubs! This song is so iconic in so many ways – from the lyrics, the music video, the fashion – everything about it was amazing. I recommend the rap version for a reason (if you haven’t heard Lisa’s verse – I’m about to change your life). We can see this song exudes Black women confidence because it has that independent, strong woman vibe – “a man doesn’t have to provide everything for me.” I also think this is perfect for Black women confidence because TLC, a trio of three beautiful Black women, is one of the world’s most successful girl groups. TLC has left a mark on the music industry and has influenced several artists, many of them Black women themselves. 

“Video” – India.Arie

This song is so genuinely beautiful in many ways. “Video” talks about not conforming to society’s views on beauty and lifestyle, but I think a lot of Black women can relate to the lyrics. Sometimes it’s hard to find self-worth and love in a world that doesn’t appreciate you from the get-go. But with Video, India. Arie reminds us that we as Black women as more than what the world tries to describe us as. Whatever we look like, whatever makes us happy – that makes us beautiful inside and out. 

“Independent Women, Pt. 1” – Destiny’s Child 

This is the last throwback song I have for this playlist. Like “No Scrubs”, this was another definitive song for Destiny’s Child (who was also influenced by TLC). Why this a Black women confidence song is self-explanatory, but Destiny’s Child brought the concept to a new level – becoming the Black version of the famous Charlie’s Angels, something that hadn’t been done yet. It’s even a  great song to listen to when you’ve accomplished something major – like a passing grade on a final or finishing a difficult task at your job! 

“Electric Lady” (feat. Solange) – Janelle Monae

The final song I have for this playlist is “Electric Lady” by Janelle Monae! I discovered this song a few years ago and I fell in love with it ever since. Janelle Monae’s use of imagery when it comes to imagery is phenomenal. “Electric lady you’re a star. You got a classic kind of crazy, but you know just who you are. You got the look the Gods agree they wanna see, all the birds and the bees, dancing with the freaks in the trees.” Solange’s verse towards the song is the icing on top of the cake. It’s perfect and inclusive in every way. I think this is a great closing to the playlist as it celebrates Black women all over the world, in this universe, and others.

I hope you all enjoyed the songs on this playlist! I wish I could add more as there are so many more songs that celebrate Black women and their confidence. If there are any songs that I missed, feel free to add them to your own playlist! Happy Black History Month, everyone!

Hi friends! My name is Kenadee Knight and I am a 21-year-old senior English major, Dance minor at Kennesaw State University in Kennesaw, Georgia! I am originally from Decatur, GA. When I'm not doing schoolwork or writing for HerCampus, I enjoy dancing, listening to music, writing, and bullet journaling. I hope you enjoy reading my articles here at HerCampus!