This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kennesaw chapter.

For those of us with allergies, being outside and enjoying the blossoming plants of springtime usually ends with excessive sneezing and runny noses. Here are five easy to care for plants you can keep in your room to enjoy spring without the pollen.

Aloe Vera

Aloe plants are cute and useful and require minimal effort to care for. Just place your plant in indirect sunlight and deep water it once every two to three weeks. Fertilize the soil one a month in the spring and summer with a diluted liquid fertilizer.

Jade Plants

These succulents are often seen as a symbol of good luck. Jade plants need to be in direct sunlight and only need to be watered when the soil feels dry to the touch. Fertilize them once every six months with a water-soluble fertilizer while the soil is wet.

Mini Cactus Plants

Mini cacti come in all sorts of shapes, and some even sprout flowers! They require only a few hours of direct sunlight a day so keep them around four feet away from a window. Rotate the side of the plant facing the window occasionally and water once a week. When watering mini cacti, moisten the soil thoroughly and allow the plant to soak up the water. If the cactus soaks it up quickly, water it some more.

Air Plants

Perhaps the easiest plants to care for, air plants need no soil and are pretty hardy plants.
Once a week, submerge them fully in water and let them sit for a few hours. Then, Shake off the excess water and place them in a bright spot for a few hours. Air plants need indirect sunlight to keep them from baking in the heat.

Rubber Tree Plants

Rubber trees aren’t really made of rubber, so they still need water and sunlight. Rubber trees need bright, but indirect sunlight and the soil should be watered once a week in the spring and summer and once every two weeks in the fall and winter. Fertilize the soil once a month during the spring and summer with a diluted liquid fertilizer.

Not only will these easy plants allow you to enjoy springtime in your pollen free room, but they’ll also act as cute room decor!

Emily Rubin

Kennesaw '22

Emily is a senior at Kennesaw State University.
A collegiette's guide to life from the KSU chapter of Her Campus!