A Week Filled with Talent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

This past week was one of Kean’s funded groups, PASU, annual PASU week. PASU, which stands for Pan-African Student Union, is a collective group of students from all cultures to come together and have a chance to talk and discuss issues that’s happening within the society.

PASU WEEK is a week for everyone to come together and learn about the many different arts and skills expressed by many talented individuals.

The first event was “Frederick Douglas: The Man” play, which took place on Sun. Feb. 8, 2013 located at the Wilkins Theater. This play showed the history behind Frederick Douglas. What made this play an amazing event, was that it was performed by the kids of UYNJ Productions. They showed us that young kids can also express their talents, perform on stage, and give an amazing performance and lesson.

The second event was “Show Time at the Apollo”, located in the Little Theater. This program showcased the talents of all students whether it was dancing, singing, poetry, or rapping. The night was spectacular, with 20 performers and a full house; this night excessed the expectations of the E-board. “This was an amazing event. The performers were talented and the crowd was energetic. I didn’t think we would get this outcome, but I’m glad we did.”, stated president of PASU, Javon Brown.

The third event was THE UCHYPE EXPERIENCE. This event merged art and music together. The performers inspired the audience through art and music that had powerful meaning. This event also gave a change for young adults to express their talents and the skills that they were blessed with. UCHYPE inspires people to do what they love regardless of what anyone says. Most importantly UCHYPE gives an understanding that we must all support one another.

[pagebreak]

Finally, PASU week was originally supposed to end the week off with their annual event Black Love Affair. This event was going to take place on Thurs. Feb. 13, 2014, but due to the snow is was rescheduled to Feb. 20,2014. This year’s theme is “Night at The Oscars”. This event showcases black love in an elegant way. Guest are required to show up in formal attire only, with the enjoyment of food, entertainment and dancing. Black Love Affair gives a chance for us to celebrate our culture in an elegant and sophisticated way.

Overall this week really showed Kean students that there are many talented people among them and that if you have talent don’t be afraid to express it, because we’re all here to support. This week alone was inspirational and truly an honor to see everyone come together to have a positive and great time. With that being said PASU really appreciates all that attended and is for next year’s PASU Week.

I received my Associate's degree in Liberal Arts Journalism at Middlesex County College. I have a variety of Journalism experience. I was in charge of children's newsletter at a summer camp program. I worked on a news report at MCC about a program called "Give Kids a Smile" and this program provided free dental care to children. I am great at digital photography, interviewing, and networking. I also wrote for two school newspapers.The first was "Quo Vadis" for Middlesex County College. I am currently a second time writer for "The Tower" newspaper at Kean. I am currently the Vice President of Her Campus for the Fall semester 2013 and during the Spring I will be the President of Her Campus Kean magazine. This May 2014 I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Communications/ Journalism.