Omega Sigma Psi Give Cool Vibes at Kean Blood Drive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

For some the thought of giving blood might send chills down the spin and bring on eminent nerves, but in part thanks to the ladies of Omega Sigma Psi it was a calm scene at the Kean University Blood Drive on March 27th. The ladies of Omega Sigma Psi took center stage in front of the blood drive doors. As I approached I was immediately greeted by Arta Kadrijaj, a senior member of Omega Sigma Psi. Part of the calm feel was due to the extremely welcoming and friendly atmosphere. Throughout my time at the drive music played in the background, which the Omega Sigma Psi ladies expressed was to aid in creating the relaxed environment of the event. This element is new to the blood drive, but Kadrijaj says that it helps participants to “focus on the music instead of giving blood” and “relax”.

Donators can also feel more relaxed that they are in capable hands because to volunteer in the event the women of Omega Sigma Psi had to participate in an orientation process to make sure that they were prepared for any possible instances that may occur during the drive. Kadrijaj acted in the vital role of spotter, which she describes as “an escort” at the drive who performs various takes such as making sure donators feel well after donations, get from one point of the process to the next, and are provided food and water to name a few. With their orientation training as a guide, Kadrijaj explains that as a spotter she also watches for signs in participants in order to distinguish if they are doing okay after donations. Signs that suggest that they need special attention may be loss of color, sweating, and wobbliness when on their feet. In this case the women of Omega Sigma Psi know to offer them a seat along with food and water, since as Kadrijaj notes, this kind of reaction usually happens in participants who have not eaten enough based on their height to weight ratio before giving blood. One may ask what motivates these ladies in giving off such positive energy, well Kadrijaj says of the drive that it “involves the entire sisterhood and is a great cause”. So, for the future it’s good to know that donating blood does not have to be an ominous task with volunteers like the ladies of Omega Sigma Psi on the scene giving good vibes.   

Brianna is a junior communication studies major at Kean University. Her interests include style, interior design and home decor, human resources, and public relations. When Brianna is not writing for Her Campus you can find her being obsessed with Netflix and exploring new creative pursuits.
I received my Associate's degree in Liberal Arts Journalism at Middlesex County College. I have a variety of Journalism experience. I was in charge of children's newsletter at a summer camp program. I worked on a news report at MCC about a program called "Give Kids a Smile" and this program provided free dental care to children. I am great at digital photography, interviewing, and networking. I also wrote for two school newspapers.The first was "Quo Vadis" for Middlesex County College. I am currently a second time writer for "The Tower" newspaper at Kean. I am currently the Vice President of Her Campus for the Fall semester 2013 and during the Spring I will be the President of Her Campus Kean magazine. This May 2014 I will be graduating with my Bachelor's degree in Communications/ Journalism.