Kean’s WKNJ 90.3 “The Holy Smokes” Cinco De Mayo Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, and the graduation of one-third of Holy Smokes Radio Show, the broadcast hosted an in-studio concert with four local bands from the Union, NJ area. Host Dan Spect signed off for the last time Thursday night, and along with co-hosts Mike Coscarelli and Hannah Byrom, the trio launched “Holy Smokes Aye Papi Cinco de Mayo Dan Spect Send Off.” The show opened with b.Funk, a cross-genre band that calls itself “New Jersey’s very own modern day version of The Roots.” Phillip & The Nasty followed, a raspy-voiced guitar duo with a contagious energy that flooded the studio. After, soloist Matt Koziol took the mic with his crooner voice – all the girls in the studio couldn’t help but smile. The show wrapped up with Colonel Pratt, a keyboard-clad trio with a natural and rugged sound that ended with an esoteric coolness. 

Stephanie Musat is a senior journalism major at Kean University. She is currently the online editor for The Tower, Kean University's student newspaper, and has previously served as the editor in chief of The Daily Orange, the independent student newspaper of Syracuse, New York. Able to recite every word in Love Actually, she appreciates the King's English, but wants to clarify that spelling favorite as 'favourite' doesn't make you cool or British. Stephanie believes a cup of tea can cure anything, has an affinity for wearing sequins, and she loves her cat, Truman, more than any human (just don't tell her mom.)