How to Re-live Summer Using Your Five Senses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Need a break? Summer is over and you may already be longing for a relaxing day at the beach. As the semester is in full effect and assignments are stacking up you probably need a quick getaway.

Here are a few tips using the five senses to help you relive the summer by turning your dorm into a tropical paradise. This should help get you through the rough fall semester.

No. 1 Sound

First things first, you need to set the mood with some music. Though you’re most likely tempted to find music that emulates the sound of the waves crashing on the shore there is a much better option.

Nothing screams (more like sings) summer like songs from this summer’s greatest hit list. Billboards named “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke the number one song of the summer.

Of course any of your favorite summer songs will work!

[pagebreak]

No. 2 Sight

Seeing is believing, but even if you can’t see the sand and waves along the shoreline that doesn’t mean you can’t imagine you are there. To give your dorm the look of summer vacation, there are several ideas you can try.

1. Decorate your room with photos of your favorite summer memories. These memories can be: pictures of you, your friends and family; images from a concert you went to; or art from favorite places you’ve been.

2. Watch some movies. Invite some friends over to have a summertime movie marathon. Movies like Hang Over III, 2 Guns, Grown Ups 2 and the Purge have been deemed by Rotten Tomatoes as some of this summer’s box office hits.  

3. Though this may seem bizarre, every girl knows that an outfit can affect your mood. So, don’t pack away you shorts and flip flops quite yet. If you really want to turn on the summer fun wear your favorite seasonal ensemble indoors. To take it a step further, you could lay out a towel in front of the heater while wearing your sun glasses and bathing suit and pretend your tanning. But that is only a suggestion, of course.

[pagebreak]

No.  3 Smell

Research has shown that the sense of smell can help trigger and enhance memory. To boost your summer senses try using scents that are notoriously synonymous with tropical vacations and paradise.

Using coconut oil can not only help your nose, but it is also good for a stress-relieving massage. Bath and Body Works has a whole line of affordable candles and fragrances like Pure Paradise and Forever Sunshine that you can use. These products can help make you feel like you’re at a sunny get away.

No. 4  Touch

Nothing says summer like the feeling of sand between your toes. If you can’t go to the beach and feel the sand during the cold months, then why not bring the sand to you?

A great way to regain some relaxing summer sensation is to indulge in a nice, salt-water scrub. In between studying for exams and writing papers, de-stress and exfoliate all of your problem away. Sephora has a great salt scrub that is inexpensive for students on budget.

Another option is to make your own salt scrub:

1 cup sea salt

½ cup almond oil

6 drops orange essential oil

It may not be exactly sand and waves but it will take away some of that college stress.

[pagebreak]

No. 5 Taste

Finally, and arguably most importantly, is taste. Some of the best summer memories have been made while eating funnel cake, cotton candy, and ice cream. Some of the best ice cream shops around campus include Do Me A Flavor, Strawberry Fields, Think Yo and Dairy Queen. You can still get your favorite ice cream at Rita’s until Halloween.

Also, in the spirit of reliving summer, try having some friends over for a few drinks. If you live on campus or you’re under age these are great mock-tail ideas.

Virgin Banana Pina Colada

Blend

2 bananas

1 can pineapples

½ cup coconut juice

Cran Razzy

1 cup seltzer

1 cup cranberry-raspberry juice

Add frozen raspberries

Even though fall is here, cold weather is coming and leaves are changing color, the summer fun doesn’t have to end. Now that you know how to stimulate your five senses, you can enjoy an extended summer.