Campus Celebrity – Christina Perez & Juan Ortiz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kean chapter.

Senior Christina Perez and Sophomore Juan Ortiz come off as normal Kean students. They currently are the hosts of The Nonsense Con Christina y Juan radio show on WKNJ 90.3FM every Thursday afternoon. Both Christina and Juan combine their interest in celebrity gossip and music into their show.

Her Campus Kean: What is your major and why did you choose to pursue it?
CP: Communication/ Media. I actually changed my major, I used to be a music major and I planned to go into media because I couldn’t decide what to do with what job I wanted. So with communication and media, I have a lot of options. There’s a lot of things that you can do with it and I like performing.
JO: I’m also a communication major with media and film. I chose it because I always wanted to be on television, and what I always wanted to do is the only thing I’m good at. So I think it was my best choice.
 HCK: How long has your show The Nonsense been on for?
CP: Since September 2011, this fall semester.

HCK: Any interesting experiences on the show?
JO: Everything is just an experience from the beginning to the end. It’s all one random experience. There’s just not one dead moment in the whole show, there’s always something going on.
CP: there is always something new that you’re learning it’s always hands on.  We’re always on our toes, there’s a lot of improving on the show and that actually is a good thing. It’s always live and it’s always fresh and entertaining for our audience. We have a lot of students coming in randomly so its funny and we use that.
JO: All the mistakes that we make go on air so you hear it and we’re growing with our audience.

HCK: Any field experiences outside of school?
CP: I had an internship with CBS radio at a Spanish radio station in Washington DC and that really made me want to pursue radio. I like television but I prefer radio and I want to pursue it when I graduate.
JO: I don’t have any experience like what I’m doing.

HCK: Anybody you would like to interview?
CP: Some professors and students, we’re going to do it before the end of the year since we are a student radio, but if we didn’t have any limits then it would be some celebrity. Since we cover both English and Spanish mainstream, so probably some type of Spanish artist and English as well.
JO: Adele, because she’s awesome, but even though it’s not going to happen it would just be amusing to have her on the show.

HCK: Do you plan to bring the show back in the Spring?
JO: I do.
CP: we’re going to do it together in the Spring but we’re also going to have our own shows.

HCK: Where do you see yourself in ten years?
CP: I see myself working as an on air radio personality somewhere or as a promotions or production editor/ coordinator. Maybe television but I see myself more as radio.
JO: In ten years I don’t know where I’m going to be but I know what I want in ten years. I’m going to graduate in 2014 and then I see myself doing more television, heading the Ryan Seacrest way.

Avani Kapur is a senior at Kean University studying Writing with a minor in Communication.  She is currently an intern at Kooba Bags in New York City.  She also contributes to the student newspaper at her school, The Tower. She loves to travel and just came back from a summer study abroad in gorgeous Florence.  Avani also loves shopping and has an obsession with cute heels, bags and leather jackets.  In her free time you can find her writing at Starbucks, cooking, or lounging on the couch with her adorable kitten, Fred, and her dog, Bella.  She is so excited to be part of the HerCampus team!