This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Juniata chapter.

POE: At Juniata we don’t have majors, instead we have this thing called a POE (pee-oh-ee), or what’s more commonly known as a Program of Emphasis. What does that even mean, you ask? We’ll were really not sure, but it means we get to pick all our own classes and have extremely flexible schedules- so that is awesome.

Job Interviewer: “Tell me about your major.”

Juniata Student: “ At Juniata we don’t have majors. We have ‘Programs of Emphasis’ which is fancy and way cooler. It makes me a really dynamic candidate because I designed my own degree, clearly making me more intelligent and diverse than anyone else applying for this position.”

Job Interviewer: “You’re hired.”

Mountain Day: A joyous day each Fall where classes are canceled for no reason and everyone goes and plays games on top of a mountain. There is food, face-painting, those blow up bouncy things. Need I say more?

Juniata Student: “Tomorrow is always Mountain Day.”

Other Kid: “I don’t get it.”

Juniata Student: “Then, YOU DON’T EVEN GO HERE.”

FISHN: Fine Arts, International Studies, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Natural Sciences. You won’t care about these things until you’re a senior and find yourself taking a class called Explorations of Clay.

Juniata Advisor: “You need to make sure you meet all your FISHN credits.”

Juniata Freshman: “I get credit for going fishing?!?”

Juniata Advisor:

Norm: Norm is the friendly, sometimes too friendly, cafeteria pasta line worker. He was retired to the dungeons of Sodexo cooking services a few years back and no longer roams Baker Refectory, but for upperclassman Norm’s legacy lives on. Norm was best known for his uncomfortable conversations on Sunday mornings and amazing made to order omelettes that could cure even the worst hangovers.

Juniata Student: “Morning Norm, I’ll take one serving of eggs.”

Norm: “You behave last night?”

Juniata Student: “Ummm… I hope you had a good weekend!”

Peace Chapel: Clarification, the Juniata Peace Chapel isn’t actually a chapel at all…It should really be called the Juniata Circle of Rocks.

Juniata Freshman: “Wait, where’s the peace chapel at?”

Juniata Upperclassmen: “Oh, we’re here. Its not actually a chapel.”

Juniata Freshman: (Dumbfounded) “Then why do they call it the peace chapel?”

Upperclassmen: “No one knows….but you’re disturbing my zen.”

Muddy: This is a place that Juniata students go to get food after hours. Admissions has been trying to get students to call it “Eagles Landing” for years but we refuse.

Juniata Student: “Let’s go get Muddy tonight.”

Other Juniata Student: “Cool, see you at 6.”

Quesadilla Chris: Quesadilla Chris is another Sodexo employee who works at the ever-famous Salsa Rico burrito and quesadilla take-out line. Quesadilla Chris is so popular in fact that a student dressed up as him for Halloween.

Quesadilla Chris: “Would you like extra sour cream with your taco bowl?”

JC Student: “Is extra sour cream even a question?”

Sophomore Brandon Gallagher as Quesadilla Chris for Halloween!

Tenting: At Juniata pitching a tent means you get the best seats at Madrigal. Madrigal is a special event on campus that consists of caroling, getting served dinner by your professors, and a dance party afterwards. Tenting occurs the week before ticket sales and students get together with friends to camp out and freeze together for a whole week in order to secure the best tickets. Winning “tenters”, or as I like to call them premier wind chill survivors, get to sing the coveted “FIVE GOLDEN RINGS” line during caroling.

JC Admissions: “Juniata College students pitch tents on the Quad every November.”

Prospective Parents: “Excuse me?”

JC Admissions: “It’s a tradition.”

Stalker NetStalkernet is essentially Juniata College’s internal Facebook. It has basic information on students like mailbox numbers and class year along with horrific photos taken by public safety during freshman orientation. The main reason you use stalkernet is to identify your group members before meeting them in the library so you don’t wander around looking for Waldo or if your want to find an awful freshman photo of your new crush to put things in perspective. Annoyingly enough, our academic departments also use these photos for their student bulletin boards so your professors never let you forget that hideous headband you decided to wear to orientation four years ago.

Poop Fingering: This is a term used by our technology solutions handbook and were not too sure why. Poop fingering occurs when you leave your computer logged in to various social accounts such as Facebook and Twitter and your friends hijack it momentarily to broadcast embarrassing statuses to your entire network. It’s normally harmless but you never know what kind of trouble it can get you into…

Juniata Student: (picks up phone) “Hey Mom.”

Juniata Parent: “Honey, I’m on your Facebook and it says that you ‘have a lovely bunch of coconuts’. What does that even mean?”

Juniata Student: “I’m going to kill my roommates.”

I hope you enjoyed a few of these Juniataisms. What are yours? Comment below or tweet @elise_ani and @hcjuniata with your favorite Juniata Lingo.

I'm best described as a sushi enthusiast, avid online shoe shopper, and lover of all things social media. Some of my favorite things are sparklers, sprinkles, and urban decay. What more is there to say? Connect with me on twitter and instagram @elise_ani you won't regret it ;)
Juniata Campus Correspondant.