Cancer Craze: Is Cancer Trendy To Support?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Juniata chapter.

There’s something that we need to talk about that everyone already knows. Cancer has become the “cool” disease across the country, especially breast cancer. Think about it. It’s the trendy disease to fundraise for (who doesn’t want a shirt that says “Save the Girls” across the front?), and it’s the trendy disease to support.

http://www.breastcancert-shirts.com/categories/funny-breast-cancer-tshirts

I know, I’m already getting people up in arms with the title of this article. And you all have a right to be, because cancer really isn’t a joking matter. My aunt is currently home changing her wig, drinking pomegranate juice, and saying prayers. It isn’t pretty. But society has made it seem that way. It’s quite astonishing how having diabetes, HIV or Hepatitis causes people to shrink away; some even blame the afflicted person. Yet anyone with cancer suddenly has an army of people surrounding her for support and asking “Why her?”

When I was thinking about writing this article, I immediately thought about a girl who gave a speech in my class last year. She opened up to a group of (practically) strangers and told us that she had HPV and how it has changed her life. The response from the class was, well, pathetic. It was not nearly as supportive as it would have been if she told us she was diagnosed with cancer.

Breast cancer has become so popular that, after a Facebook petition, Mattel company is creating a new Barbie doll in the likeness of a cancer victim. According to News.com.au, the bald-headed children’s doll, is set to be released this year, and “will come with an assortment of head dressings and clothing commonly worn by real-life female cancer victims.” 

(Is this for real?)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cancer-barbie-backers-seeking-bald-doll-sick-kids-terms-hair-loss-article-1.1005391

Wait, there’s more! Side Pocket Distillery has created a vodka specifically for supporting Breast Cancer. Since when does taking shots of vodka and breast cancer go together? But their website says it will donate $5.00 to the breast cancer fund for every bottle of Support Her Vodka that is sold. You can’t get much more support and awareness for a disease than this, kids.

http://www.sidepocketcorp.com/her_1.cfm

Okay, so what? Cancer is getting a lot of talk because it’s a horrible disease that sucks the life out of our friends and family for no reason. And because of that, it’s getting a ton of support and publicity. What’s so bad about rallying together and buying another pink wrist band and wearing your favorite “Save the Tatas” Tee? 

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.  In fact, more power to everyone who supports the cause. Except that if we are going to support research to end this ruthless disease, shouldn’t we make sure the money we put into the “support” goes to the people that can make a difference?

Let’s look at the NFL. I love the fact that there’s a time when some of the “manliest” men in the nation deck themselves in all the “Real Men Wear Pink” attire they can find. It’s easy to spot the players in pink cleats, the captains’ patches, sideline towels and stenciled pink ribbon on the field. Cancer sucks—yeah! But what about the pink coins used at the toss. The chinstraps. The pink officials’ whistles. Is putting pink padding on the goal posts in the end zones actually raising awareness about breast cancer?

There are people out there (including myself) that have this insane idea. Maybe… instead of making sure every NFL player has pink shoelaces, we should use all that money towards…cancer research? And where are they getting all of that pink apparel? You have to understand that just because you have a pink ribbon decal on your car, there is a high chance that the $5 bill you paid for it isn’t going to a man in a lab coat with a Petri dish.

So what do we do about this craze?

1.     Think. Think about the people you are truly supporting when you wear your pink baseball hat to cover up your bad hair day.

2.     Be aware. Be aware of where your money is going (see the end of the article) and make sure as much of your dollar as possible is going towards cancer research.

3.     Remember. Remember everyone who has passed away from cancer, who is currently fighting, and who has yet to fight this appalling illness. But also remember there are other diseases, some even more terrible, out there destroying lives every day. Support cancer research, but consider simultaneously fundraising for another cause and raising awareness and acceptance of other diseases that may be ruining the life of someone close to you.

To close, I’d like to emphasize the fact that I fully support all the campaigns out there that raise awareness and money for the breast cancer cause. But if cancer is going to be cool, let’s do everything we can to end this trend—by ending this disease. Let’s destroy it with all the pink fuzzy socks and pink hair ties and pink car decals we can possibly make. Let’s win the war we waged on this disease so we can move on and win the next one.

Interested in supporting breast cancer research? Check these links out to make sure your money is going where you think it should:

A host of so-called charities for cancer have been criticized for channeling the money they raise back into more fundraising and administration costs, rather than to the cause they claim to support. So if you’re ready to support the cancer craze, I’ve made your life easier by finding two sources for you to check out before you pay $30 bucks to bedazzle your jacket with pink sparkly ribbons.

1.     Start by checking out http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org.

“Think Before You Pink™, a project of Breast Cancer Action, launched in 2002 in response to the growing concern about the number of pink ribbon products on the market. The campaign calls for more transparency and accountability by companies that take part in breast cancer fundraising, and encourages consumers to ask critical questions about pink ribbon promotions. Think Before You Pink™ is made possible by the generosity of the Lisa and Douglas Goldman Fund, Richard and Rhoda Goldman Fund, Marisla Foundation, Jessie Smith Noyes Foundation and Rainbow Grocery Cooperative.”

2.     Next, look at http://www.charitywatch.org.

You can also check out Charity Navigator and the American Institute of Philanthropy — better known as CharityWatch — which are two watchdog groups that track charities’ financial reporting across the country, rating them from best to worst and showing you where your Ta-tas-Tee shirt money is going.