Campus Cutie: Trey Mathews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Juniata chapter.

CAMPUS CUTIE: Trey Mathews

Hometown: Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania

Program of Emphasis: Biochemistry

Secondary Emphasis: Mathematics

Graduation Year: 2016

This week’s cutie has more to offer than just his nice-looking facial hair! Juniata’s chapter of Her Campus created an acronym for the word “cutie,” as described in a previous article, titled “A Juniata Campus C-U-T-I-E” Just as a refresher, here is what CUTIE means to us:

C- Community Oriented

U- Unity Focused

T- Talented

I- Intellectual

E- Extraordinary

Community Oriented:

1. In what ways do you serve the Juniata community and/or your home community?I serve the Juniata community by participating in Catholic mass on campus, volunteering as a liturgical minister. At my work, Science in Motion (a science outreach program), I aid in preparing labs and equipment for local high schools to participate in hands-on activities.

Unity Focused:

2. In what ways would you consider yourself to be “unity focused”?I always see myself as being part of a team, which is expressed through my activity on the Men’s Track and Field Team. This extends to the classroom as well, where I am a member of a research group that requires good communication and teamwork. Additionally, to get involved with other students, especially incoming freshmen, I became a Resident Assistant (RA). This allows me to interact with the residents in my hallway and encourage them to engage in various activities on campus.

Talented:

3. Do you have any special talents?

My hidden talent is bowling. I have bowled for 14 years and only had one perfect 300 game. I have the ability to enjoy a round of golf without getting angry or frustrated. I sing, but only during church. I also enjoy recreational mind games and pranks.

Intellectual:

4. Have you done any work in the biochemistry field? Do you have any internships planned? What would be your dream job be in relation to your POE?

This past summer, I stayed at Juniata College to conduct organic chemistry research with Dr. John Unger, which I am still doing now. Over winter break of this year, I shadowed a general surgeon at UMPC Altoona. I applied to various institutions for summer research and will be finding out about my acceptance soon. My dream job would be getting my M.D./Ph. D. and to work at a medical school, which would allow me to blend my passions for both research and patient care.

Extraordinary:

5. What would you consider to be some of your strengths? What makes you “extraordinary”? What would you want for people to know about you?I am responsible and easy-going. I am known for intentionally ignoring people and staring at them. I enjoy giving people hard times because it’s fun. I try not to take life too seriously and have a good time with it. My favorite response to an “either/or” question is “Yes”.

From left to right: Garret Kratina, Brett Heber, Brandon Hark, Trey Mathews