Why You Want to Watch These Top 5 Valentine’s Day Flicks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. “Crazy, Stupid Love,” 2011

You already know exactly why this movie is a must-see. The plot is surprising, Ryan Gosling, the stories are endearing, Ryan Gosling, it’ll make you laugh until your stomach hurts and Ryan Gosling. Not to mention the beautiful Emma Stone and the hilariously entertaining Steve Carell star alongside the “hey girl” poster boy in this highly rated romantic comedy. With three stories of romance that span over three age groups, you really can’t go wrong. “Crazy, Stupid Love” is the perfect Valentine’s Day flick to watch with your girlfriends, boyfriend or family (depending on how comfortable you are with your fam). “Crazy, Stupid Love” will be playing at the JMU planetarium Feb 14 & 15 at 7p & 9:30p for free.

2. “Letters to Juliet,” 2010

If you want to watch a feel-good yet totally predictable movie where two gorgeous people fall in love, this is the movie for you. IMDb sums it up: “Sophie dreams of becoming a writer and travels to Verona, Italy where she meets the ‘Secretaries of Juliet.’” Get this: the “Secretaries of Juliet” are real! In Verona, Italy, there are women who write letters back to those who leave letters at Juliet Capulet’s symbolic tomb asking for advice on love.

Here are the reasons why this is a stellar chick flick: the story takes place in beautiful Italy, the characters are impossibly attractive, the male love interest has a British accent, there is sweet enduring love that we all wish for in a relationship as well as a passionate, fairytale love (you get double the romance), the story is completely unrealistic and there is enough of a climax/heartbreak to make you question the inevitable happy-ending. You will not be disappointed by this light-hearted, romantic chick flick.

3. “Pretty Woman,” 1990

This is a classic romantic chick flick. The story is about a prostitute who meets a millionaire and falls in love with him. Julia Roberts is the epitome of a “pretty woman.” This movie is perfect for when you aren’t in the mood for a regular-old chick flick made in the early 2000s. “Pretty Woman” was made in 1990, right around the time you were born. The style of clothing, music and overall cinematography are refreshing. Richard Gere, although 41 at the time, plays the ruthless, wealthy entrepreneur quite well – and he isn’t bad on the eyes for an older man. This flick is a good choice to watch anytime with anyone!

4. “Pride & Prejudice,” 2005

Period pieces can be pretty lame and are not everybody’s cup of tea. However, “Pride and Prejudice” is beautiful, heart-wrenching, and romantic. You can rely on a good amount of drama, a happy ending, a few giggles and romantic moments that will leave you breathless and completely jealous of Keira Knightley. You will fall in love with Mr. Darcy and will wish he were real or that such a man existed to sweep you off your feet. Warning: this movie may leave you frustrated and temporarily hopeless about the majority of males on your campus. On the bright side, you may start speaking in a British accent and fall in love with the beautiful soundtrack performed by Jean-Yves Thibaudet (piano) and the English Chamber Orchestra.

5. “The Notebook,” 2004

Cliché, I know, but there is nothing better than watching Noah and Allie (Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams) fall in love. The middle part of the movie is entirely heartbreaking as most of us know, but the romantic ending is worth the emotional trauma suffered by viewers and off-his-rocker Noah. If you are the type of collegiette who is always up for a good, rom-dram cry (or tear-up), this is one of the best contenders for your Valentine’s Day movie night.

Want to see a movie on campus for FREE?

See Breaking Dawn Part 2 @ 7pm & Skyfall @ 9:30pm on February 14th.

Sources:

Collider.com
IMDb.com
Mirror.co.uk
storiesbehindthescreen.wordpress.com