hallmark christmas movies?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
hallmark christmas movies?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The Hallmark Channel

Why the Hallmark Channel Rules Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Big-time journalist (probably named Noelle or Hope) begrudgingly returns home to her quaint hometown for Christmas. There, she reconnects with her estranged high school sweetheart. Of course, they’re forced to work together to create a Christmas festival of sorts, and they hate working together after all this time of no-contact. He doesn’t understand why she hates Christmas, and she doesn’t want to reveal it’s because of something that’s happened in the past between them that led her to feel this way. They almost kiss when she reveals this, but they’re interrupted. It isn’t until the end of the movie when they kiss. This probably happens at their Christmas festival (which she almost completely misses because she just has to return home) when she tells him she can’t go back to the big city because her heart belongs here with him. That, my friend, is my Hallmark-inspired take on a holiday movie plot.

Hallmark is known for being corny and predictable, but it is also known for being comforting. I, for one, anticipate Hallmark’s Countdown to Christmas each November and December. Hallmark is certainly an acquired taste. I believe that for every 10 movies you watch, you’ll be pleasantly surprised with one. I love Santa in the movies being known as the friendly-neighborhood old man who is probably named Kris (what’s the coincidence?) that no one ever considers could be Santa. I love how every kiss is interrupted by one of the quirky townspeople. I love the Christmas tree decorating montages. I love how there is usually one scene per movie that makes me oddly teary-eyed. I love how Lacey Chabert will never, ever star in a movie where she is not royalty somehow.

I have found that Hallmark is actually broadening its horizons. There are two movies in particular that I would highly recommend to the average Hallmark hater. Three Wise Men and a Baby features 3 brothers who find themselves in the care of a baby during the holidays. Through this unorthodox situation, the brothers find themselves rebuilding their relationship all in the name of Christmas. Of course, there is romance in this movie, but it’s shockingly just a subplot. I found myself genuinely laughing at this movie. It’s fun, it’s cute, and it’s jolly. What more could you ask for? Another one of my favorites is A Bramble House Christmas. In this movie, Finn Conrad, children’s book illustrator, becomes suspicious as to why his father left his nurse, Willa, $100,000, and takes it upon himself to travel to the bed and breakfast where Willa and her son, Scout, are staying to uncover this mystery. When Willa learns his true intentions, she wonders if she can ever trust him again. This is a Hallmark movie with genuine conflict and slow-burning love. Both of these movies are great for becoming a Hallmark fan.

Christmas cliches find their home in Hallmark movies, but there is something so endearing about them. Watching Hallmark movies with your friends or family and laughing at its predictability is how to make a December night fun and festive. Don’t be a Scrooge and give them a chance. You might find yourself pleasantly surprised. 

Amanda is a freshman Writing and Rhetoric major with a Creative Writing minor at James Madison University. Amanda loves binge-watching "Sex and the City", drinking iced lattes, cuddling cats, reading romance and thriller novels, and listening to music (Taylor Swift, Gracie Abrams, and Phoebe Bridgers mostly). Ultimately, Amanda wishes to pursue a career involving writing, reading, editing, or publishing.