Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

Why Many Girls Dream of a Life Like Gilmore Girls & Why They Shouldn’t…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Although Lorelei and Rory Gilmore appear to live the lives of our dreams, the women themselves are full of imperfections. Between their snarky remarks, classist mindsets and victim complexes, these characters are far from flawless. Despite the characters, their lives and hometown contribute to the appeal for viewers. But, should they?

The Positives

Cute & cozy Small town vibes

Viewers fell in love with the town due to its cute environment. The trees and landscaping in Stars Hollow are what everyone thinks of when they hear the word “fall”. With all of the central spots located close together, everything is within walking distance and characters don’t even have to use gas! Between the gazebo at the center of the town and the businesses and buildings that surround it, it’s easy to fall in love with Stars Hollow.

The Community of your dreams

Another huge appeal is the close-knit relationships the residents of Stars Hollow have with one another. Everyone in the town knows everyone else, and this dynamic is very alluring to viewers.The girls will walk up and down the streets and wave to everyone because they genuinely know them, not just because it’s kind. The town has events involving everyone, and everyone always shows up. Whether they be dance-a-thons or fall festivals, no one likes to miss these parties, and they keep coming back every year. Stars Hollow is big on tradition and community, and these relationships make viewers yearn for a life like this. 

the perfect mother-daughter bond

Lorelei and Rory have an inseparable bond. While many events occur in this show, the closeness between these two never really seems to fail. They have fights, but in the end, it’s them against the world. Both women would do anything for each other, and they rarely hide anything. At the end of the day, they are still mother and daughter; they argue, scream and ignore each other. But they are also each other’s best friend, and that is what matters most. 

Chilton: the perfect school

The show begins as Rory is accepted into a new elite private school. With help from her grandparents, she attends the school. Her dream since she was a little girl had been to go to Harvard, and this school, Chilton, provided many opportunities to get into Ivy League schools and start working toward a career. While the school is difficult, the architecture and opportunities provided are things most people can only dream of. Chilton School may not be perfect, but it sure is appealing!

love always

The biggest theme in Gilmore Girls is love. Regardless of the actions Rory takes, Lorelei loves her. Regardless of what silly thing Emily has said at dinner, the girls still love Rory’s grandmother. When a neighbor’s cat died, the whole town showed up for the wake. No matter what happens in the show, there is always love to go around. Many viewers long for a life like they have because of the love and community they share. These relationships are what make the show as comforting as it is.

the negatives

Everyone knows everything

While the close-knit community has many appeals, it also has some downfalls. Because of how close everyone is, it means everyone knows everything, and they find out fast. People talk and the word travels. You can’t say anything in Stars Hollow unless you want everyone to know. This also means that if one person has a problem with someone else, the whole town has a problem with that someone else. You are either in or you are out, and this can be very difficult. The town is close, but this tight bond is sometimes its ruin.

Limited options

The small town vibes appeal to so many viewers, but living in a small town isn’t always easy. The options in Stars Hollow are very limited. There is a convenience store, two restaurants, a school, a dance school, a church and a couple of other businesses, but that’s about it. Life in Stars Hollow can get pretty boring, because there isn’t much to do. The appeal of a small town feel is quickly countered by the lack of options.

long commute

While the school Rory attends is prestigious and beautiful, the bus ride from her home to the school is about 40 minutes long, and Rory does this twice every day. The commute isn’t the only annoying thing about this school; the people are also not the kindest. It’s a highly competitive environment, and this shows in the relationships between students at the school. People are mean, and really only looking out for themselves. Everything is used as a resume-builder for these kids, even their friends. The school is far from Stars Hollow and incredibly competitive, facts the opportunities and architecture have a hard time making up for. 

While the life we see in Gilmore Girls seems to be perfect, it is actually far from it. All of these points shouldn’t stop people from dreaming of living the small town life up in New England; I know I still want to! However, the perfect life lived by Lorelei and Rory is not so perfect when you break it down. What do you think? Does the good outweigh the bad? Do you dream of a life in Stars Hollow?

Jillian is a sophomore Writing, Rhetoric, and Technical Communications major with minors in Family and Legal Studies! In her free time she likes to read, bake, and spend time with friends!