This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Are you dating a writer? If so, I’ll be praying for you and the hardships you go through with your significant other’s emotional journey. Writers are one of a kind. Words have meaning and can tell a beautiful message. This Valentine’s Day, give the writer in your life something they’ll keep close to their heart. Pick a gift from below and pair it with a little bit of chocolate and the biggest bouquet of flowers you can find. I promise you, it’ll be the best Valentine’s Day for her.

A poem

You don’t have to be a good writer to create a poem. Google can do a great job at providing resources for you to learn how to write one that doesn’t completely suck. If you are truly against writing then find one that conveys your feelings. Lucky for you there are millions of poems already written by intelligent writers. Spend some time searching, pick out the best poem, print it out, frame it, and then you are good to go.

open when cards

I’ve made these before and it’s truly the gift that keeps on giving. There are an endless amount of events to write about and Pinterest is the best way to find them. Let’s be honest reading an “Open when you’re mad at me” letter during your next fight will make the argument a lot shorter.

music playlist

Sometimes music explains your feelings better than you ever could. We are extremely lucky being in the age of the internet and electronics which means there are multiple platforms we can create playlists on. Whether you use Spotify or Apple Music your girl will be ecstatic to receive this. Make sure you pick out good songs because chances are they will all be on replay.

Books

Maybe your significant other is really into reading or maybe they hate it. Either way, they’ll love the custom couples book! There are many options including LoveBookBook of Us, and endless options on Etsy. If you would rather DIY it yourself, then go for a scrapbook. Create the story of your relationship from your point of view and include mementos such as concert tickets, first text messages, etc.

a happy jar

My boyfriend gave me a happy jar for Christmas and I swear my bad days have decreased. Any time I miss him, get sad or am too overwhelmed I just pick a note out of the jar. Each note says something different. Some of them list things he loves about me while others tell me his favorite memories or how much he loves me. They’re seriously a lifesaver and give me the support I need.

Out of the five love languages, the writer in your life will probably crave words of affirmation. All of the DIY gifts above provide just that. Tell your significant other how you truly feel. If it’s your words or someone else who speaks a bit more poetically, it’ll touch their heart just the same.

Plus, who doesn’t love a good DIY gift? Made from the heart, for the heart. It’s the best way to show your love (except maybe an engagement ring, but we’ll get to that later.)

Kate is majoring in writing, rhetoric, and technical communication and minoring in entrepreneurship. You can usually find her at Starbucks and listening to true crime podcasts.