What musical you should listen to based on your mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Musicals are so unique in the way that they allow you to escape the reality you’re in and immerse yourself in a whole new world full of song and dance. There are some specific musicals that really reinforce certain moods, whether it’s happiness, sadness, or fear. Depending on what you’re looking for, here are a few of my suggestions:

If you Need a good cry:

Keeping all of our frustrations inside is never a good idea. Here’s some musicals to listen to that are sure to help you release your emotions.

Les Miserables: An obvious choice, this story is set during the French Revolution and how the lower classes fought and sacrificed for each other for their freedom. With almost every song pulling at your heartstrings, listen to “On My Own,” “Bring Him Home,” or “I Dreamed a Dream” for the maximum effect.

West Side Story: A modernized New-York spin on the classic love story of Romeo & Juliet, this show is bound to get those tears flowing, with racial divides, heartbreak, sacrifice, and loyalty as the main themes. Be sure to have a tissue box around when you listen to “One Hand, One Heart,” “A Boy Like That,” or my favorite “Somewhere.”

Dear Evan Hansen: Dealing with teenage mental health, social media, bullying, and suicide, this musical is one of the more modern shows on this list and also one of the most depressing. Listen to “Words Fail,” “So Big/So Small,” “Requiem” or “For Forever” to get your sad feelings out.

The Last Five Years: This show is a love story from the perspectives of two lovers, with the woman’s perspective starting from the end to the beginning, and the man’s perspective starting from the beginning to the end, documenting the same love affair. Spoiler alert, the love affair does not end well, especially with the songs “I’m Still Hurting,” “See I’m Smiling,” or the finale “Goodbye Until Tomorrow/I Could Never Rescue You.”

If you Want to dance:

You don’t have to be a trained dancer to want to get your energy out in the healthiest way possible! There are countless musicals with multiple dance numbers, but these are a few of my favorite dance-centered shows that always get me up and out of my seat:

Hairspray: This entire show is about dancing! With themes of pride, racial integration, and acceptance, this show is sure to get you tapping your toes. Listen to practically the whole album if you need to get your energy out – “Ladies’ Choice,” “Run and Tell That,” “Welcome to the 60s,” or the finale “You Can’t Stop the Beat” to name a few.

Mamma Mia: A story about a young girl trying to figure out who her father is has never been this catchy! A jukebox musical with a track list of ABBA’s greatest hits, disco lovers everywhere will love this musical, especially with songs such as “Dancing Queen,” “Does Your Mother Know,” and “Lay All Your Love on Me.”

Grease: This teenage love story set in the late 1950s has been capturing the hearts of dancers everywhere since its start in the 70s. An entire soundtrack full of dance numbers, my favorites have always been “Greased Lightning,” “Born to Hand Jive,” and “You’re the One That I Want.”

Chicago: While divorce, murder, prison, and the bustle of the Roaring Twenties are the story’s main ideas, this show is full of song and dance numbers that will help you dive into this time period, especially with “Cell Block Tango,” “We Both Reached for the Gun,” “I Can’t Do it Alone,” or the finale “Nowadays.”

If you want to feel scared:

The horror genre is not just reserved for movies – many musicals also can give you the fear sensation you’re looking for. Here are a few of my favorites:

Sweeney Todd: This show about a barber who returns to London after serving time in prison is far from comforting, with themes of betrayal, jealousy, and murder at the forefront and a creepy, ominous feel to all of the songs on the track listing. Even the songs with happier lyrics have a threatening and foreboding message behind them, especially the songs “My Friends,” “A Little Priest,” and “Epiphany.”

Phantom of the Opera: This classic musical about a masked figure who haunts the Paris Opera House and its singers is not too scary for listeners, but might ignite some discomfort with the stalking and alarming nature of the Phantom. To really feel the Phantom’s threatening messages to lead character Christine, listen to “Phantom of the Opera” or “The Point of No Return.”

Heathers: The cult classic 80s film has been adapted into a musical, and the story has not been altered one bit. Along with the discomforting topics of teenage bullying, suicide, homophobia, and assault, a couple of murders are the icing on the cake to this black comedy musical. The entire soundtrack takes you on an emotional rollercoaster, but especially listen to “Me Inside of Me,” “Our Love is God,” “Meant to Be Yours,” or “Dead Girl Walking (reprise)” if you want to feel scared.

Little Shop of Horrors: What’s scarier than a plant who eats people? This rock-n-roll, high energy musical starts out as a peek into the quirky life of florist Seymour Krelborn, and quickly takes a turn for the worst after Seymour decides to buy a new plant that has grown from a freak lightning strike. The soundtrack does not have many scary tracks, but listen to “Feed Me (Git It)” or “Mean Green Mother From Outer Space” to get your fill of fear for the day.

If You need some comfort:

Sometimes we all just need something playful and calming to listen to after a hard day. Here are some of my recommendations:

The Sound of Music: Even though this musical is not so comforting near the end, the overall themes of family, music, and togetherness triumph over the hardships that the family faces. Intertwined is a lighthearted and flowy soundtrack that is sure to help you relax, including songs like “My Favorite Things,” “Climb Every Mountain,” and my favorite, “Edelweiss.”

Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella: While Cinderella is a very familiar story for most, this version specifically helps me feel calm and comforted because of its simple and catchy melodies and its themes of imagination, hope, and triumph. “In My Own Little Corner” and “It’s Possible” are two of my favorites from the soundtrack.

Into the Woods: This Sondheim musical intertwines the familiar fairy tales of Cinderella, Rapunzel, Red Riding Hood, and Jack and the Beanstalk, along with the themes of sacrifice, togetherness, revenge, and the idea of good vs. evil. Listen to “A Very Nice Prince,” “Giants in the Sky,” “On the Steps of the Palace,” or my favorite “No One is Alone” if you need a bit of comfort.

Oklahoma!: Another Rodgers & Hammerstein musical, this show does not have much of a plot, except for the excitement surrounding the town’s box social dance and the young men and women who live in the town, all set during the time Oklahoma is attempting to become a state. The music is comforting to me because it is patriotic, imaginative, and catchy, especially with songs like “Oh What a Beautiful Morning,” “The Surrey with the Fringe on Top,” or “Many a New Day.”

Of course there are countless other Broadway musicals you can listen to for any mood – Hamilton, Wicked, Legally Blonde, The Lion King, or Newsies to name a few. What’s your favorite?

Hi! My name is Delilah Orazi and I am a junior elementary education major at JMU. I love all things Disney, visiting coffee shops and bookstores, and hanging out with my cats.