What Guys REALLY Think About your Look…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

When you think of sexy makeup, you most likely think of a dark, smoky eye and bold red lips, am I right? It turns out that most men think exactly the opposite. After posting on Facebook about which looks guys prefer, 90% of guys actually find the natural, fresh-faced makeup look sexier than the glammed-up look. Surprised?
Read on to see what a majority of JMU men thought when they opened up and told us the 5 beauty tips they find most attractive on a woman.  

1.    A Lot vs. a Little
Ladies we all know that feeling when we look into the mirror and feel sexy. But are the guys really looking at whether our eye shadow matches our outfit, or how much eyeliner we put on to make our eyes pop? Of course, they aren’t! When I asked if they liked when girls wear a lot of make-up or the more natural look, most guys wrote, “the natural look,” and, “I don’t mind if a girl wears makeup, but as long as you cant really tell she’s wearing any.” This came as a shocker to me!

Although the dark look is sexy on occasions, men find that women who wear natural looking makeup are confident, independent, and comfortable. I also asked if red lipstick is hot – turns out its not! Guys who answered prefer the subtle, shiny   lip-gloss. 

2.    Long hair vs. Short hair
When I asked if guys prefer long hair or short hair, 80% of guys said that they prefer longer hair. The other 20% said that it depends on the girl. Some responses were, “To me, it’s more feminine,” “I like that you can do more things with long hair, like putting it up or in a bun,” and “I like when a girl has long natural waves; it makes her look really laid back and fun.” So ladies, don’t go crazy and think that you have to grow it out! A girl with short hair and confidence is a sexy mix.

3.    Bright Nail Polish
To all you Pinterest lovers, if you are anything like me, you have a separate board just for fashion and nail designs. With the latest trends of newspaper print, the matted look, and the backwards French, I was curious to see how guys felt. Oddly, almost all guys said that they don’t care about what girls wear on their nails. “If it shows her personality, then go for it!”

4.    Maxi Dresses
Although the trend of floor-length dresses has returned from the 80s, most men prefer short, flowy dresses. When a girl wears a long dress, most guys associate it with more formal wear. “I like when girls wear a loose dress to their knees, it’s a really cute summer look.”

5.    Heels vs. Flats
For this question, I was excited to find the answer because I am one of those girls that wear a small heel to class. So my question was, do you prefer when girls wear heels or flats on a regular basis?  I found that 70% of guys prefer when a girl wears flats.  They said things like, “It looks like the girl isn’t trying so hard to dress up,” and “I feel like heels to class is a little too much.” Out of the 70% of guys who choose flats, some men said they wouldn’t mind if girls wore small heels, but would still prefer flats.

So there you have it, collegiettes – the most attractive looks from the men of JMU themselves!

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.