This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Spring is one of the most beautiful and serotonin filled times of the year. The days get longer, our moods become lighter, and the weather gets warmer. What a beautiful planet that gives us spring and every other amazing season, why don’t we take care of it?

Since Earth Day is also in the heart of spring, it’s the perfect time to start and continue to be eco friendly!

Reusable Bags – These bags go a long way in keeping our oceans and rivers clean of trash pollution. Reusable bags also come in so many different designs and sizes so it’s also a cute addition to grocery shopping. Not only can you buy these bags from your grocery store but local artists everywhere make them out of sustainable products and they are also super cute! There are even reusable bags made for carrying your produce so you don’t have to use the plastic grocery store ones they have provided! Another good idea is a getting a reusable water bottle, plastic bottles and straws also do damage on our sea creatures.

Recycle – By throwing away the items you can recycle, they take up space in landfills and most items stay in the Earth for thousands of years. Recycling helps keep pollution down as well and is just as easy as having a trash can! You can actually end up recycling more than you throw away if you clean your disposed items properly.

Compost – I know that some people don’t have the room to do this but if you ever do, it is beneficial! Compost enriches the soil and is great for gardening. Composting is easy, all you have to do is take food trash and scraps like old left overs, orange or banana peels, and even egg shells and throw them all into a bin together. Real trash can’t go into this because compost goes back into the Earth. This just like recycling and using reusable items, reduces landfill waste. Composting is also a form of recycling because it is reusing your kitchen waste for your soil.

Buy Local – By buying from local shops we not only support them but the environment as well. Big companies are known for harming the environment in the production process of whatever it is they make. Local shops hand make what they sell and usually want to help the environment as well.

Carpool – I remember carpooling as kid to school and I would always get so excited, so why stop? You can carpool to work, class, a party, a hangout with friends, anywhere you are going with other people you can drive together. Not only does it prevent more carbon emissions getting into the air but it saves money! With gas always changing it’s good to drive together so you can split gas if you need to. Carpooling is also a good way to socialize and be around your family friends. Who doesn’t love a good jam session in the car with your friends!

Eco Appliances – Switching to non-toxic cleaning supplies will keep the air in your home cleaner and less chemicals out of the trash. Specifically green cleaning products are healthy for the environment and prevents you from breathing in chemicals! You can also create your own cleaning products out of certain things around your house. LED lightbulbs are also better for the environment, so when incandescent lightbulbs burn out, you know what to replace them with. LEDs create zero toxic waste and they last longer!

I am a freshman Media Arts and Design major at James Madison University. I love the outdoors, cartoons, and art! I also love to create things on the computer. I helped write and design my high school's yearbook all four years and had a senior position!