Upgrade Your Timeline: JMU’s Top Twitter Accounts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

When it was my first year at JMU two years ago, hardly anyone in my incoming class knew what the function of a #hashtag was. Trending topics and Twitpics were almost of foreign nature back then, but now it’s a crime if you don’t have a Twitter account! Luckily, JMU has become extremely social media savvy, using Twitter as a primary platform.

As you incoming Dukes cruise the #JMU16 tag to meet new people and get pumped about 1787 August Orientation, make sure you’re discovering everything our university has to offer by following the best tweeters around H-Burg! Here are my top picks of JMU-affiliated Twitter pages that you should follow, too…

1. @JMU – The official Twitter for James Madison keeps you updated on a regular basis on all things JMU, all while making you proud to be Duke with each tweet.

2. @JMUgirlproblem – Be prepared to find yourself retweeting a handful of these tweets! JMUGirlProblem is a hilarious account ran by an anonymous source that often sheds light on many of the “problems” us girls at JMU face. 

3. @UPB – JMU’s University Program Board brings fun, exciting, and educational events to campus, from movies to speakers to concerts. You want to follow this account for chances to win tickets to certain events, or just to stay in the know about what’s happening on campus.

4. @JMU1787 – 1787 August Orientation will no doubt be one of the best weeks of your life that you endure here at JMU. By following 1787 on Twitter, you will be able to receive the latest updates, win some amazing prizes, and even get sneak peaks!

5. @JMUSGA – JMU’s Student Government Association’s main purpose is to represent, serve, educate, and inform the student body. Follow their Twitter for important updates, and make sure you check out @SGAjmu2016, the official twitter account for your class.

6. @TheBreezeJMU –The Breeze is JMU’s student run newspaper, which is published every Monday and Thursday during the academic year. While you can pick up the paper to read, Breaking News updates and more can be accessed once you follow them. 

7. @UknowUgo2JMU – You know to go to JMU if…don’t worry, this sentence will be easier to complete once you step foot on campus and start your journey as a first year. Follow this account for a sneak peek of how amazing it is to bleed #purpleandgold. (Although, I have a feeling you know you’ve picked the right school!)

8. @HerCampusJMU – Don’t forget to follow us, your only online magazine written by and for the women of JMU!

While my list was short, there are many other JMU related Twitter pages you can follow! This is only the beginning of your college experience, so take advantage of everything that is offered to you. Many of these accounts are student-led, so don’t hesitate to send a DM or tweet if you have questions. The clock is winding down, so enjoy what’s left of your summer, and we’ll see you in August!

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!