This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

With the temperatures cooling down, leaves changing colors, and pumpkin spice lattes coming back in season, fall has officially begun. Despite this, it can be hard to get into the fall spirit sometimes, especially if you’re around people who are clinging to the last remnants of summer. These shows are perfect for ushering in the fall season, both with cozy and spooky vibes alike.

Gilmore girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kiR2vsfAQ

When referencing fall TV shows, Gilmore Girls is the one that comes to everyone’s mind first. I think this signals the start of fall far before pumpkin spice lattes do, with Instagram posts marking the start of “Gilmore Girls rewatch season”. Set in the small town of Stars Hollow, a mother and daughter navigate life and love together, accompanied by a cast of colorful characters and a love of coffee. This show, and the revival Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, is available for streaming on Netflix.

sabrina the teenage witch (1996)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghh0dDGTWb4

Sabrina the Teenage Witch is a comfortable TV sitcom based on the Archie comics characters. This show, which follows 16-year-old Sabrina Spellman, shies away from glamourizing high school, showing it for all its flaws while adding in the twist of having magical powers. It’s an easy and cozy watch, with a wide cast of characters in which everyone can find a favorite. This show is available for streaming on Hulu and Paramount+.

The chilling adventures of sabrina (2018)
(1) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix – YouTube

A complete 180 from the previous entry, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is a darker take on the character of Sabrina Spellman. Instead of the lighthearted hijinks and spells from the 1996 Sabrina, this show focuses on the darker aspects of magic. 16-year-old Sabrina Spellman is forced to make a decision, to join her aunties in practicing dark magic and give up her human side or stay half-human but lose her magic. This show is perfect for those who enjoy darker TV shows, employing the spooky aspect of fall. This TV show is available for streaming on Netflix.

school spirits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB2w3OuaP64

Keeping in line with the spookier aspects of fall, School Spirits follows the ghost of 16-year-old Maddie, who is trapped in her high school after her murder. Unable to move on from the scene of the crime, Maddie uses her new supernatural powers to influence the human world into investigating and solving her murder. Perfect for fans of the supernatural and crime procedurals, School Spirits is available for streaming on Paramount+.

stranger things

One of Netflix’s most popular series, Stranger Things follows Will Byers and his friends after Will is sucked into an alternate dimension of their home, known as the Upside Down. As the show progresses, so does the influence of the supernatural on this 1980s town, inviting monsters ripped from the pages of a D&D handbook to terrorize the protagonists. This widespread phenomenon is perfect for those who enjoy 80s nostalgia and the supernatural and is available for streaming on Netflix.

wednesday

Rounding out the list of fall TV shows, one cannot mention fall without mentioning the Addams Family, with the breakout star being Wednesday Addams. This popular show chronicles Wednesday at her new school Nevermore Academy, and the subsequent deaths and supernatural occurrences that begin just after her arrival at the school. With the Addams Family being the reigning kings and queens of Halloween and fall, this show is perfect to welcome in the fall season. Wednesday is available for streaming on Netflix.

Isabel is currently an English major at JMU who loves dancing, crocheting, and reading romance novels. You can find her working on a new project, trying to make a dent in her TBR, or rolling dice at her weekly D&D sessions.