Top 10 Essentials for a Great Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Great relationships are made possible when two people each take responsibility for their own growth and continue to bring things into a relationship. Sometimes, we unconsciously feel that if that perfect man came along, everything would just fall into place. But we do have to remind ourselves: Great relationships start with you.  

1. Knowing yourself is essential if you want to take charge of your own life! It means examining yourself and learning more about your strengths and weaknesses. The healthier you are, the healthier your relationships are more likely to be. Finding – and keeping – good relationships starts with you.
  2. Communication. Happy couples can have problems and conflicts just like unhappy couples. The difference is in how they communicate and handle conflicts, and how they protect the good things in their relationship.
  3. Intimacy. It’s more than just a physical thing. Of course, sex can be experienced just as a physical thing, but many girls seem to want it to mean more. Intimacy is about being truly close and connected to your partner. It is built over time as more genuine emotional and social connections are made and as two people come to trust and commit to each other.
  4. Chemistry is about attraction and all of the exciting emotions that draw two people to each other. It creates a desire for physical affection.
  5. Friendship is about getting to know someone well and being able to share thoughts and feelings freely. It is about enjoying being together and being able to communicate openly and honestly. Without friendship, the connection is superficial. True friendship is about acceptance and a deep fondness for the whole person, not just the surface.
  6. TRUST! This part of love involves being able to truly trust someone with secrets and trust that you will be there for each other, today, tomorrow or next year! With trust you achieve commitment, which means thinking about your loved one’s needs as much as your own.
  7. Emotional Safety. This kind of safety comes from feeling accepted and free to be yourself! With emotional safety you feel safe to say what’s on your mind and in your heart. It is probably what most of us want most in relationships.
  8. Compatibility. It is important to think about compatibility in smart relationships. Ask yourself these questions: Do you have common interests? Can you communicate? Do you feel you are loved for who you really are?
  9. Respect. Starting a new relationship is always exciting, but sometimes the relationship can start to go wrong. Respect for each other is a chief component in a relationship because without it, your relationship could lead to aggression, fights and sometimes abuse.
  10. Fun. HAVE FUN!!! Having fun is very important in a satisfying and lasting relationship. Being together in positive ways helps you feel connected and feel good about your partner. When we have happy experiences, it is easier to cope with stress and tackle problems that everyday life throws our way.