This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Call me a lil’ biased, but Fall is my absolute favorite time of year – the weather, the colors, the smells and traditions. Being from New York and experiencing four distinct seasons, I can definitely say Fall, for me, is the most beautiful back home. There’s a crispness in the air and it just has a way of bringing people together. However, whether I’m in New York or here at school in Virginia, there are certain traditions that transcend time and will ALWAYS be a part of my Fall musts – no matter where I am.   

Apple Orchard/Pumpkin Patch 

In classic Fall fashion, what would it be without the annual trip to the apple orchard and pumpkin patch with the people you love? Gliding down isles of vibrantly colored trees full of crisp, juicy apples ready for the picking. The smell of freshly made apple cider donuts and a cool Autumn breeze fill the air. A blanket of scrunched leaves and bright orange pumpkins of all sizes sprawl across the grass. It’s quintessential Fall. 

Apple Orchard Girl Picking Apples
Alex Frank / Spoon

Fall Candles

The smells of Fall – Pumpkin Spice, Apple Cider Donut, Banana Nut Bread and Warm Fall Leaves. Fall scented candles are what keep the spirit alive indoors along with the outdoors. They bring warmth and nostalgia associated with the season from wherever you are. Diffusing these scents around my apartment remind of Fall in New York, remind me of home. Burn the scents that make your heart happy.

Target

Décor

Decorating is part of the spirit. When I have a place of my own one day, I will be decking it out to the nines. Pumpkins, lights and all the knick-knacks. Fall and Halloween are my favorite times to make my space cozy, yet dark and spooky. There’s such a comfort and hominess to the décor that comes with Fall, it lets you feel like a kid again. 

Costume Planning

Yet another tradition that is truly timeless. No matter what age, it’s a perfect time to get creative, dress up and have a fun night out with friends. The one night of the year where you can really be anyone you want to be, with everyone else doing it to. Everything leading up to the main event of Fall: All Hollow’s Eve. 

All the Fall Beverages

There’s nothing like sippin’ on a hot drink on a crisp Fall day. Whether it’s a Fall flavored tea, a Pumpkin Spice Latte, hot Apple Cider or anything cinnamon, it’s like a warm hug to the heart. It fills the soul with its festivity.

Hot Lipton Tea In A Mug
Julie Lau / Spoon

Halloween Movie Marathon

And the ultimate way to celebrate Fall and the “31 Nights of Halloween” is through all the classic movies. A marathon of the best; Halloweentown, Twitches, Hocus Pocus (arguably my favorite movie of all time) and more. It reminds me of childhood and these movies will always be timeless to me. Cozy up with the ones you love, surrounded by your fall candles, hot beverages, freshly picked pumpkins, and have a Halloween Movie Marathon. It’s the only way to do it. 

A Media Arts & Design student, coffee addict, lover of old music, '90s fashion and a huge passion for creating and storytelling.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.