Time To Party: Holiday Edition!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

With Thanksgiving now behind us, and Christmas quickly approaching, it’s easy to get caught up in the frenzy of Christmas activities – starting with the Black Friday sales and constant display of decorations throughout towns and malls! On a college budget, lavish holiday parties are out of the question, but there are simple ways to get together with your friends before winter break begins. 

Potluck parties are an affordable way to share holiday memories with others. 
Dessert potlucks are even easier because who doesn’t enjoy making cookies in the shapes of gingerbread men?  Cookies paired with chocolates and hot apple cider are sure to make for a scrumptious evening. 

I’m sure most of us have heard of White Elephant gift exchanges — a personal favorite of mine. While there are many variations, the general premise consists of having a group of people engage in rivalries over gifts.  With a diminishing budget going into the holidays, these gifts are generally under $10 and incredibly tacky and often distasteful.  Over the years I have seen several inappropriate gift ideas, but they always make for a humorous evening with friends. 

Finally, the most common are the Tacky Sweater parties. I have accumulated at least five incredibly heinous sweaters ranging from dancing penguins to light up reindeers.  It is fun to get in the holiday spirit by dressing in the most ridiculous attire possible.  It is amazing how easy it is to find candy cane colored leggings, earrings with jingle bells, and fuzzy over-the-top Santa hats. 

So get creative and enjoy as much as you can with your college friends before you head home and have to act like an adult around your grandparents!
Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!