Things the Academy Got Right…and Things they Didn’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

If you are a huge film nerd like me, you spend all year waiting for Oscars night. You watch every red carpet show beforehand, listen to every interview, and watch every nominated movie just in preparation for this iconic night. And every year, inevitably, there are winners you agree with, and some you just don’t. Here are my feelings on what the Academy got right this year, and what they just plain got wrong.

RIGHT

Best Supporting Actress

Winner: Allison Janney in “I, Tonya”

A character like this can be hard to play, especially considering that she’s based on a real person. But Janney created the craziest, yet somehow also relatable on-screen mother you could ever hope for. It was so different from anything she’s played before, and her transformation was incredible. Well-deserved Oscar, right here.

Best Supporting Actor

Winner: Sam Rockwell in “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Creating a character that is so HORRIBLE that we hope he gets killed off in the first half of the movie, only to turn it around and make us hope for his redemption and happy ending in the second half is an amazing feat of acting. Rockwell’s character in the movie was crude and violent, throwing people out of windows and being racist af – yet somehow, by the end of the movie, you LIKE his character??? Good job, man.

Best Actress

Winner: Frances McDormand in “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

If you’ve seen this movie, you know. You just know. She deserves this award more than anyone. The emotion she portrayed, the asses she kicked, the fear and admiration she instilled in our hearts – Frances deserves all of the awards.

WRONG

Best Director

Winner: Guillermo del Toro for “The Shape of Water”

Should’ve Been: Greta Gerwig for “Lady Bird”

Now THIS movie – Lady Bird – changed my life (for a few days, at least). It was one of those movies that ripped you apart then slowly put you back together in a whole new way. You felt more complete after you watched it. You did not think about falling in love with a fish. It was honest and poignant. Did you know Greta Gerwig was only the 5th woman EVER to be nominated for best director? She deserved that Oscar.

Best Actor

Winner: Gary Oldman in “The Darkest Hour”

Should’ve Been: Timothée Chalamet in “Call My By Your Name”

I’ll be real here, I am extremely biased towards “Call Me By Your Name”. But in all honesty, no one in years has deserved this award like Timmy did. At his young age (only 22), to be able to convey such a deep level of emotional complexity, and such a wide range of character was nothing short of perfection. He showed up 6 weeks to the filming location before everyone else and spent hours every day learning how to speak Italian (on top of the French he already knows) as well as the piano and guitar for this part. Not to mention, he made love to a PEACH for art. He was dedicated to this role. He brought Elio Perlman and his love to life. Timmy you deserved that Oscar sweetie.

Best Picture

Winner: “The Shape of Water”

Should’ve Been: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”, OR “Get Out”

Here’s the truth: I wanted “Call Me By Your Name” to win everything. I wanted it to get Best Picture. But, given the tough competition this year, I understand why it didn’t. What I DON’T understand is why “Three Billboards” or “Get Out” didn’t win. “Three Billboards” was a work of art, with incredible characters and performances from start to finish. There were plot twists and crazy situations and it was all so good. “Get Out”? Revolutionary. A stunning commentary/exposé on the racism that still hides in the fabrics of our society. Even when you can’t see it, it’s there. I would’ve been perfectly happy if either of these films had won Best Picture. They made important statements about the status of the lower/working-class in our country, as well as racism. (And nobody dreamed about boning a fish monster.)

Senior Media Arts & Design major with minors in Communications and British Communication & Media. I enjoy drinking tea, watching movies, working out, all things nerdy, and being feminist af.
Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.