The Waiting Place Prevents You From Living Your Best Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Since the beginning of this week, the only thing I could think of is when it would be over. Just waiting for the weekend to come along so I could finally feel free from this constant pressure to get things done. And now it is Saturday night. And the only thing I can think of is all the work I have for this upcoming week…and how I can’t wait for it to be over. 

Now, as I sit here on my computer, I am just thinking of all the time we waste just waiting. Waiting for the next assignment, waiting for the next bus to catch, waiting for the weekend, waiting for that email, waiting for that text…waiting…just constantly waiting. And I am starting to realize that all this time waiting is actually my life. And my life is just going by while I wait. It reminds me of this quote from one of my favorite books, “Oh, the Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Seuss. 

“You can get so confused
that you’ll start into race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles cross weirdish wild space,
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place…”

-“Oh, the Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Seuss

I think right now, a lot of us are in this waiting phase in life. It’s not always bad things that keep us waiting. Sometimes we wait while we look forward to exciting things. Sometimes it’s a party, a celebration, or our next vacation plans.

The point is, I think we all need to just slow down sometimes and enjoy the simplicity in the moment around us. No matter how excited we are about a certain event coming up, the time between is really important too. No matter how hard we try, time is not going to end up speeding up for us to get to that moment. So why are we always planning our life around deadlines and moments we are looking forward to? I think we often get so excited about certain things that forget to enjoy everything in between. All those days, weeks, months spent waiting, are all little blocks that fully make up what our “best life” should be. 

Another point in our lives that we spend waiting, is when we are waiting for the perfect opportunity or moment to do something. I believe that there is no such thing as the perfect time to do something. The main reason we all end up waiting or procrastinating is that there is a small part of us that is afraid of failing.

We are so afraid to fail that we keep ourselves from becoming the best we can be. I think there is a lot that can be learned from failure and learning how to get back up from them is even more important. This whole concept we have ingrained in our heads of the perfect time does not exist. Instead, it just pushes us away from realizing our full potential. 

I am not sure if this post will help any of you, but I hope it does. I hope it makes you want to fully immerse into every second of your life. The good and the bad. We can’t keep waiting for our best lives to come by. We have to create it.

Hi everyone! I am a student at JMU and I love writing about topics that inspire people to be better people. I am currently a double major in Hospitality Management and WRTC with a minor in business.