The Best Shows to Binge that No One is Talking About

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Happy Valentine’s Day, ladies! If you’re anything like me, you’re probably spending this holiday in bed watching your favorite show after a long day of classes and studying. If you feel like you’ve already watched every show your friends recommend or are tired of starting shows with a single eight-episode season out, look no further! Here are my top 6 recommendations of shows I NEVER hear get recommended with multiple seasons for your down-time this semester.

ugly Betty

It would be a crime to not start this list with the show that inspired me to join HC in the first place. Ugly Betty follows the sweet and quirky Betty Suarez find her place at the glamorous Mode magazine. I watched this show during the America Ferrera renaissance following the release of Barbie this summer and was immediately hooked. The best way to describe it? The Devil Wears Prada meets telenovela.

dexter

True crime podcast listeners and murder mystery novel lovers- this one is for you! Dexter Morgan, a blood splatter analyst for the Miami Police Department, helps solve murders around the city, with a focus on a new serial killer each season. But there’s always a twist, and in this show, it’s that Dexter himself is a serial killer, secretly carrying out the murders of criminals who avoided legal consequences for their actions.

aRRESTED DEVELOPMENT

This is one of the shows my family quotes all the time around the house together. With major names like Michael Cera, Jason Bateman, and Will Arnett in the cast, the show follows the spoiled and wealthy Bluth family following their father being sent to prison. The original first 3 seasons (the best ones in my opinion) were released on Fox in the early 2000’s, while Netflix released two reboot seasons in the 2010’s. I have never laughed harder at a show in my life, and especially recommend it to people who prefer comedy to drama shows.

buffy the vampire slayer

Like me, if you were devastated when Disney Channel canceled My Babysitter’s a Vampire as a kid, there’s a grown-up version with 7 seasons waiting for you! Sarah Michelle Geller (aka Daphne from the live action Scooby Doo movies) stars as Buffy, a teenage vampire slayer who fights all kinds of monsters with the help of her friends. And if all of that isn’t enough for you, the fashion choices in the show will genuinely influence your wardrobe for the rest of your life.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel might be the best show I have seen in my life, with spectacular and hilarious performances from every character. Miriam “Midge” Maisel is left by her husband one night, and along the way discovers she has a remarkable talent for standup comedy, a dream she struggles to pursue as a woman in the 1950’s. Despite numerous Emmy nominations and wins, I don’t know a single person outside of my family who has watched it. This show will make you laugh, cry, and every emotion in between, and out of every show on this list, it is my #1 recommendation. WATCH IT!!!

Carly is a biology major with minors in pre-physician’s assistant and honors. Outside of school, Carly enjoys swimming, reading, watching sports, and all things pop culture.